Iron filter backwash

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Sinclair

Reaction score
Hi,
I just installed an Iron filter that backwashes every 2 weeks. ( up to 100 gallons ea )
My well tank and filter are in the basement.
I'm also on a brand new septic system.
I do not believe I should flush all the backwash through the septic system.
I will be installing a French drain and if needed a drywell at the end of it. ( I don't really believe I'll need the drywell but will reconsider if a pro on here believes it's needed )
I'm coming off the filter head with 1/2" tube and will be increasing that to 3/4" where it will go up to the joists with a 3/4" check valve on the rise. Then across the joists ( about 8 feet, then down to the spot where I'll go through the wall below the frostline. Then increase to 1" just before it punches through the basement wall and will continue ( graded down ) for 25-30 feet before it will change to the french drain. The french drain will be socked and perforated 4" PVC. for another 25 feet.

Now..... the BIG question. I understand the "air-gap" requirement if tying into a septic line.
However since this is feeding into a dedicated French drain and I have a check valve, how necessary is the air gap?
And if totally un avoidable how and where would I do this? Especially considering it will be "jetting" out of the tube at 40PSI, not just gravity fed.

Thank you
Bill

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks