Insulation in shower. help

Users who are viewing this thread

jpatz18

Reaction score
I am using this stuff to insulate my shower. (r matte) "R MAX3" (http://www.rmaxinc.com/Rmatt-3 05-07.pdf)

Is that right?would i have to put up a vapor barriar?

Or should i use the fiberglass insulation? Is the brown backing of the paper a barier and that would mean i would have to put up the plastic "poly" right?

Wall is masonary, also using furring strips.

PLEASE HELP!

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I didn't bother to check your link because I don't think I'd be qualified to give comment on a product that I haven't heard of. However I've built a handful of showers and I insulate to stop noise from traveling through the house or obviously if the shower wall is adjacent to an exterior wall.

I always use rolled insulation and then go over the studs with 4 mil poly. You want to make sure you drop your poly inside the tub or pan.

Tom

jpatz18

Reaction score
You want to make sure you drop your poly inside the tub or pan..

what do you mean by that? i am still new at this.

Also r-max is : sheathing/polyisocyanurate foam

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tile nor grout is perfect, it is possible you will get some moisture behind it. The vapor barrier should lap over the liner so if any does, it can flow down the wall and eventually out of the shower via the drain or weepholes in the drain. Whatever you are using for the floor, either a tub, a pre-made pan, or a custom built shower pan will have either a liner or a lip on it...you want the vapor barrier to end on the inside of the 'wet' area so it can drain.

jpatz18

Reaction score
ok i understand that, i am going to just put the poly up it can only help me. i will take a pick sunday of it so i can verify it is right.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I didn't bother to check your link because I don't think I'd be qualified to give comment on a product that I haven't heard of. However I've built a handful of showers and I insulate to stop noise from traveling through the house or obviously if the shower wall is adjacent to an exterior wall.

I always use rolled insulation and then go over the studs with 4 mil poly. You want to make sure you drop your poly inside the tub or pan.

Tom

Foil-faced polysio (darn, I can never spell that).

Jpatz, since you have to install a separate vapor barrier anyways (so you can lip over the tub flange), you might as well save a bit of money, use extruded foam (blue or pink), instead...

Probably okay with the polysio, although I'd be a litle concerned about the double vb.

jpatz18

Reaction score
so should i just say screw it and get the fiberglass insulation (unfaced) and then put up my 6mil poly?

The sheathing was only 10.xx

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You can get the unfaced if you think it will save you some money but remember that you'll likely only be able to use the left over in your attic. Other places will need the paper side as a vapor barrier.

Since you're putting up a vapor barrier I'd go with the cheapest insulation that will do the job.

Tom

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Personally, I like to use unfaced and then put up a continuous sheet of visqueen (plastic sheeting). You'll get a much better barrier that way.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks