Installing Pop up Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
1. When installing the drain with silicone under the flange, the silicone gets moved around when the portal for the drain rod is squared up/aligned and final turns on the jamb nut are made. As I tighten the jamp nut the flange turns and the silicone is affected. Am I overthinking this? Is the silicone fluid enough that it retains its proper shape and thickness?

2. What are the proven steps to ensure, within reason, leak-free drain installation?
I have read frequently, on plumbing forums, to use 100% silicone under the drain flange, Teflon tape on metal flange threads with a slight amount of pipe dope on top. Also, it does not hurt to apply a little Teflon pipe dope between the rubber gasket and underneath the sink body. Is there a universal Teflon pipe dope that is safe to use on plastic, metal and rubber?

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Had one of my 73 year old man's brain fart about how I installed the tail piece.
As it turns out, I had tail piece upside down, which still screwed in, but left no room to lift and grasp flange while tightening. After 2 beers and a nights sleep, I did a dry run and by "accident" installed it correctly.
Still interested in universality of Teflon pipe dope.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 16077037522058195363920642410294.jpg
    16077037522058195363920642410294.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 244

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
So... I don't use silicone on the flange of a pop up assembly. The reason is because that is not the place that seals the water from leaking out under the sink. The seal at the flange to the sink keeps water in the bowl with the stopper closed. The rubber washer at the bottom with the Jamb Nut does the sealing against water under the sink. I do often put some silicone sealant on the threads where the rubber meets them if I feel i'm working with inferior products or I simply want to ensure a One n Done operation. No other products are needed for the seal under the pop up when using quality parts.

On the flange I use plumbers putty which is sufficient to prevent water from draining out of the bowl when the stopper is down.

pipe-dope-on-lav-drain-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Thank you Tuttle.
A little silicone between rubber gasket and bottom side of sink for extra security-I like that.

No teflon or dope on flange or tail piece threads?
If it causes no harm, I would apply something to those thread. I like your one and done concept. If a person does this type of work daily, they have the magic touch to get it right.
Us amateurs need all the flak jackets we can get our hands on, no matter the extra time and minor expense. A sound sleep us good.

Many thanks
Jeff

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I have no idea why that now all instructions for sink drains show and to use silicone under the flange. Plumbers putty (Oatey has stain-free) works every time.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you Tuttle.
A little silicone between rubber gasket and bottom side of sink for extra security-I like that.

No teflon or dope on flange or tail piece threads?
If it causes no harm, I would apply something to those thread. I like your one and done concept. If a person does this type of work daily, they have the magic touch to get it right.
Us amateurs need all the flak jackets we can get our hands on, no matter the extra time and minor expense. A sound sleep us good.

Many thanks
Jeff

Not exactly.. The rubber washer seals fine against the sink.. But they sometimes have trouble sealing against the threads of the drain body. I add a bit of silicone around the brass threads where the rubber will be contacting that.

On the threaded tail piece going into the brass body from underneath, either a bit of putty, teflon or pipe dope on those threads always.

and to reiterate.. no silicone between the flange and sink.. that part is only holding water in the bowl, not preventing leaks.. its a low risk location.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you use silicone the person who changes that assembly down the road will be muttering French expletives in your direction. It works. for now but be a stinker to remove. Putty works as well and is replacement friendly.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
If you use silicone the person who changes that assembly down the road will be muttering French expletives in your direction. It works. for now but be a stinker to remove. Putty works as well and is replacement friendly.

Yep. Went with the putty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks