Installing Panasonic bathroom exhaust fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Are these supposed to be installed through the ceiling drywall into the joist or just directly into the joist? The instructions dont specifically mention anything. Some pictures show the unit as being screwed through the ceiling drywall into the joist, and others show it being screwed directly into the joist. Any advice here? I have the FV-10VSL3 and I'm just not sure.

It has the oval duct since it's slim, and i found it hard to get access to the bottom of the exhaust because it was almost flush to the top of the ceiling drywall. I couldnt even fit a clamp over it, or tape. This leads me to believe that i either needed to screw it in directly to the joist and not through the drywall, or that i should have attached the duct first.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You mount the box to the joists.
And then the cover.

panasonic-fan-terrylove-1.jpg

panasonic-fan-terrylove-3.jpg

panasonic-fan-terrylove-2.jpg

Last edited:

SWong

Reaction score
Terry is absolutely correct! I have the Panasonic FV-11VQ5 and it is extremely heavy. Be sure and try to minimize your exhaust duct runs, minimize using elbows but more importantly use the largest diameter ducts you can fit as these are all choke points. Wife and I love our Panasonic bathroom exhaust fan and have forgotten many times to turn the darn thing off as it is extremely quiet. My personal opinion is to always fit the largest CFM exhaust fan you can squeeze between the joists

DSC00186.JPG
DSC00145.JPG
DSC00079.JPG
DSC00065.JPG
DSC00050.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks