installing new basement sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Duongz

Reaction score
my current one is a very simple setup which has a float and a corrugated pipe at the bottom discharge
i want to change to one with no float/auto internal float, here are a couple of examples

im adding a check valve

but the discharge is at the top so the weep hole wouldnt be below the water line and auto start begins pretty low.

there are models like this, where the dischare is low and the auto starts begins at 5 inchs

does the low auto starting point and it being close to the auto off of these machines make it short cycle and not good for basement basins

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The reason we put floats on sump pumps is so that a larger volume of water is pumped per cycle and the pump cycles less times and for longer which helps in the pumps longevity. The check valve prevents the water that the pump has already moved from refilling the pump (which you probably already knew). Buy two of them so you have one ready when the first one fails.

I've never used any of those brands from Amazon.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Most of the models shown, are listed as utility pumps. Utility pumps are not normally equipped with float switches, as they are usually utilized manually to remove water from a flooded basement or to drain a hot tub or pool.

Pumps are normally rated for continuous duty. It is cycling that will reduce their lifespan, particularly short cycling since there will probably not be sufficient run time to cool the additional heat created during the power surge resulting from each pump start.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks