Installing HDPE Water Line to One (Eventually Two) House. Need Advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Al N

Reaction score
My house has an approx. 300' set-back from the meter. The current water supply line is 3/4" copper which was installed in the 1960s. It has begun developing multiple pinholes and must be replaced. It runs out of a 5/8" x 3/4" meter. Pressure is good at approx. 350' developed feet even with 3/4" pipe but I don't yet know what is the pressure at the meter.

Plan: Run either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" HDPE pipe from the meter to the current house (300')

Future plan: Tee off of the new line at 100' and run additional HDPE pipe 550' from tee to an additional, new house (650' from meter.) and have water company upgrade meter with 1" x 3/4" version.

I'm a DIYer who has worked with PEX and copper but I'm uncertain about a few things:

1. Should I choose IPS or CTS size pipe?
2. Would 1 1/4" pipe be adequately large to avoid frictional losses (assuming proper pressure) or should I run
run 1 1/2", or a combination?
3. What fittings will I need to connect to the meter tailpiece? Waterworks x barb
adapter?
4. Will I also need reducer(s) for the size of pipe I intend to use?

Thanks in advance for advice!
Water Line Distances.jpg

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
go with 1-1/2". Do yourself a favor and where you cut in for the future run, install a ground-box with a valve so you don't have any buried joints. This will give you easy access for future repairs and also give you easy access when you're ready to add that second run.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
What are the chances you (or a surviving relative) might sell either of the two houses in the future? For the cost of an extra 200-odd feet of pipe consider putting your tee near the meter, and have individual runs to each house. That way if you want to set up a separate account for each house at some future date you won't need to dig up that 100 feet of pipe to your proposed tee.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are the chances you (or a surviving relative) might sell either of the two houses in the future? For the cost of an extra 200-odd feet of pipe consider putting your tee near the meter, and have individual runs to each house. That way if you want to set up a separate account for each house at some future date you won't need to dig up that 100 feet of pipe to your proposed tee.

Smart thinking jadziedzic

Al N

Reaction score
Use SIDR ASTM D2239

You would usually use barbed "insert" fittings into the poly. Use 2 worm gear clamps with the worms on opposite sides. The fittings will have NPT threaded fittings on the non-barbed side.

http://www.plasticpipe.com.cn/blog/peguide.pdf

Thank you. Are there any scenarios where I may want to use CTS size pipe instead of the IPS pipe you suggest using? I understand the size differences but I don't understand why one is chosen over the other.

Last edited:

Al N

Reaction score
go with 1-1/2". Do yourself a favor and where you cut in for the future run, install a ground-box with a valve so you don't have any buried joints. This will give you easy access for future repairs and also give you easy access when you're ready to add that second run.

Good idea. Thanks.

Al N

Reaction score

A very good point. The "future location" is at the back of the property which shares the same driveway as the current house. There's a possibility I may rent out the current house if I ever build a new one in the back. Thank you for your advice.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you. Are there any scenarios where I may want to use CTS size pipe instead of the IPS pipe you suggest using? I understand the size differences but I don't understand why one is chosen over the other.
CTS pipe will work fine too.

Reach4

Reaction score

SIDR pipe is neither CTS nor IPS. Those have consistent OD for gluing inside of glue fittings. SIDR has consistant ID for different pressure ratings (thickness) so you can use the same size brass or stainless barbed fittings.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/tips-for-400-ft-pipe-run.74073/ may have some info for you.

Al N

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies. I found out that code here in Louisville calls for 200 psi rated CTS pipe when HDPE is used, so I'll be using that along with Ford pack compression fittings. I'm still trying to decide on 1 1/2" vs. 1 1/4" for the main run to the back of the property (650') but, either way, I'm going to tee off that and run 1" to the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks