Installing a corner lav (before or after tile)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting ready to tile my bathroom (been waiting a LONG time)... I have a corner sink with the 2 slots/valleys where the posts that protrude from the wall will hook on. I'd like to drill the holes before the tile so that I get a good result (and can see the vent) but I am concerned I'll drill the holes incorrectly since the complete wall assembly isn't really in place. Do you think I'd be better off waiting until after I do the tile and then drilling it all in one shot? Could I even drill it after I put up the foam backer board? I ordered my tile so I should have the tile and backer board on hand. Here are some pictures of the wall and my carpentry. Sadly, I had to use 3/4" ply for backing on one side because the vent stack is right there. I feel confident I won't damage the vent (I can protect it when I drill) but I'd be curious to hear how some of the pros here might approach it.

Also, what is the stuff on the installation instructions? A gasket to prevent porcelain on porcelain?

Thanks.

Lav1.jpg
Lav2.jpg
Lav3.jpg
Lav4.jpg

Attachments

• Lav5.png
    Lav5.png
    77 KB · Views: 142

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If your measurements look good now, then you should be good. I would think it would be easier to tile first and then drill.
Have you checked to see how the p-trap is going to work there? The drain looks very close. Sometimes when they are close to the wall, I like to "miss" so that I have the option of swinging back on it. Or at least towards the drain. If it fits though, you can aim dead on.

Jb9

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. The drain appears to be dead on (maybe 1/16" off). The lateral distance is about 8 1/2" so hopefully that is enough for a 1 1/2" P-Trap.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. The drain appears to be dead on (maybe 1/16" off). The lateral distance is about 8 1/2" so hopefully that is enough for a 1 1/2" P-Trap.

Coming off at a 45 or other angle can give you extra swing for the trap. Your photos don't show that area.

If it lined up exactly (or closely enough), you could use a bottle trap. That would look nice with your non-enclosed sink. While bottle traps can be forbidden, there are once with plastic for the important parts that are allowed. I don't know how close is close enough.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks