Insinkerator Instant Hot, Contour Installation Tips, plumbinghacks

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Insinkerator has a new Contour model Instant Hot with a different installation method than the old twist top dispenser. Instead of pulling the cap and using a screw driver to install like their previous model that I had installed for years, it switched things up and went with a small wing nut under the countertop. I found this arrangement very hard to tighten with the little amount of space and having to do so with just the tips of my fingers.

ise-hot-install-1.jpg

I tightened it as tight as my large fingers could, and the top when I twisted it would still move.

ise-hot-install-2.jpg

Since my hand was too large, and my fingers too weak for that position under the sink, I made a tool to help me get more leverage on the wing nut. I took some 1/2" copper from the truck, and cut two notches at the end with a hacksaw. With this tool, I was able to use both hands, wearing rubber gloves to cinch that puppy down. Now that dispenser on top isn't going anywhere!

ise-hot-install-3.jpg

ise-hot-install-4.jpg

Insinkerator Contour hot water dispenser.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I found this review agreeing with me.
THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL FAUCET, BUT A BEAR TO INSTAL!. DOES NOT COME WITH A WRENCH TO TIGHTEN THE WING NUT, AND IF YOUR AREA IS TIGHT, YOU WILL HAVE A REAL PROBLEM GETTING IT TIGHT ENOUGH. OUR COMPANY PLUMBER WITH 42 YEARS EXPERIENCE, ACTUALLY HAD TO MAKE SOMETHING TO BE ABLE TO GET UP FAR ENOUGH IN ORDER TO TIGHTEN IT! DEFINITELY SHOULD HAVE A 12 INCH LONG WRENCH INCLUDED! THIS IS OUR 3RD UNIT IN 11 YEARS....THEY LAST 3-4 YEARS, THEN START SPUTTERING AND SPITTING. REDUCING THE WATER TEMPERATURE DOES NOT HELP, NOR DO SERVICE CALLS. THEY HAVE "A LIFE" AND WHEN THAT STARTS HAPPENING, JUST BITE THE BULLET AND BUY A NEW ONE, DON'T WASTE MONEY ON REPAIRS. THAT SAID, IT IS A VERY GOOD LOOKING FAUCET, AND PERFORMS WELL, AND WILL FOR AWHILE. WE USE IT SEVERAL TIMES A DAY. INSINKERATOR, IF YOU'RE LISTENING, INCLUDE THE WRENCH!!
from NORTH CAROLINA

So a plumber around my age knew to make his own tool too. How funny. :)

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have one of these Ridgid #2001 "Plastic Nut Basin Wrench". They work well on wing nuts (of reasonable size) and of course typical
winged plastic mounting nuts. Ridgid now has an updated model now which I can't vouch for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
When they (plumbing supply manufacturers) make changes, they rarely consult plumbers.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nice hack on the improvised tool. I'll remember that one.
What I really love, not, is a kitchen cabinet with the drawer in the bottom. Then they have a water filter, disposer, and hot water dispenser and pull down faucet.
Those cubicle dwellers at the plumbing fixture mfgs, should take a field trip now and then.

Dougster

Reaction score
I found this review agreeing with me.
THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL FAUCET ... THEY LAST 3-4 YEARS, THEN START SPUTTERING AND SPITTING. REDUCING THE WATER TEMPERATURE DOES NOT HELP, NOR DO SERVICE CALLS. THEY HAVE "A LIFE" ...

Has anyone thought of, or tried, installing an anti-scale cartridge (e.g. Aqua-Pure AP430SS) under the kitchen sink in the cold water feed line just in front of the "Instant Hot" unit's tank, and if so would it extend the life these "Instant Hot" units? Might be considered overkill but at the low flow rate I doubt you'd ever need to change the silophos cartridge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks