I did not know joint compound has 2 year of shelf life - so if its going to leak - it will leak right away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
I used pipe joint compound to assemble tub+shower faucet fittings
now I realized - Oatey great white pipe joint compound I have used has 2 years shelf life
and I don't know how to read the mfg date but I am sure its more than 3 years old

Can someone tell me how to read date code - there is nothing on bottom ..so it has be on label

Also - sometimes even after shelf life expiry date - stuff is still good so how do you judge if this dope is still good or not?

So now am worried if it will leak ..so wondering if its going to leak it will leak right away or it may leak after 3 months of 6 months or more?

Since I used joint compound - I used cheap white Teflon tape with it so should I be worried ? @Terry @jadnashua @Jeff H Young @Whitall @wwhitney @Afjes

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or a pro.

My understanding is that the joint compound works by lubricating the threads, thus letting you get the fittings tight enough to to seal.

I would be very surprised if it was to leak after the fact.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't know there was an expiration date. If its still the right consistency and not dried up then I wouldn't worry.

Curiousv

Reaction score
No. I used joint comound as long as it was liquid and NEVER used tape with it.
Thanks - but if its going to leak - will it leak right when I turn on water to it or it can happen after some time?

Curiousv

Reaction score
I didn't know there was an expiration date. If its still the right consistency and not dried up then I wouldn't worry.
No its not at all dried up..-- but just in case this is expired and its faulty - leak will happen right away or it can take some time?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pipe dope or PTFE tape works on a tapered pipe thread by filling in between the threads. As long as it's still a paste, it should work. As it ages, it might separate, and may require mixing well before you do it to get the consistency right...like paint, the solids can fall to the bottom, and require things to be mixed well to work.

As was said, if it's dried out, it probably isn't any good.

If your joint is good or bad, you'll know it when you turn the water back on.

Curiousv

Reaction score
Pipe dope or PTFE tape works on a tapered pipe thread by filling in between the threads. As long as it's still a paste, it should work. As it ages, it might separate, and may require mixing well before you do it to get the consistency right...like paint, the solids can fall to the bottom, and require things to be mixed well to work.

As was said, if it's dried out, it probably isn't any good.

If your joint is good or bad, you'll know it when you turn the water back on.
Yes it is still same consistency as I as new
Well I want to clarify ..something
U said joint is good or bad - u would know right away - but we hear some cases they leak after few months/years - it is because of cheap paste/tape or something else?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't know about screwing pipe together dry with no dope or tape I suppose soap would be a last resort but I never tried just dry with no help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I wouldn't know about screwing pipe together dry with no dope or tape I suppose soap would be a last resort but I never tried just dry with no help
When my mother helped my grandfather add plumbing to their home in the early 30's, that's how they did it. He was a lawyer, district attorney, superintendent of schools and a farmer. His family had come from Riverside California and then went to Alaska for the gold rush there. Settled back in Seattle for a bit, and then other parts of the state.

packard-img002.jpg

On the left is my uncle Dana Packard, who became a union plumber. Worked on high rises and also Point Barrow Alaska. My brother Clare worked with him in Anchorage after the earthquake getting the sewer and water lines repaired in the streets.
My mother is holding the dog there.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Normally if the joint is assembled well, it's fine even without dope.
In olden times, a bar of soap was used to lube the threads on galvanized pipes.
Soap also works well on a screw head, when you hit a knot in a stud. I have seen knots stop a drill dead, add a little soap (or dish soap) and it goes through like butter.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Soap also works well on a screw head, when you hit a knot in a stud. I have seen knots stop a drill dead, add a little soap (or dish soap) and it goes through like butter.
Yes, we use soap on screws sometimes. Also wax rings for that too. Drag the screw over a toilet wax ring and watch the screw sink right into the wood.
Homeowners tend to have bars of soap handy too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks