Hydronic heating with a Navien Combi

Users who are viewing this thread

Joel_R

Reaction score
I'm looking for someone with experience designing a hydronic (in-floor) heating system using a Navien Combi boiler.
I live in SoCal and there is a lack of certified designers and the Navien dealers are not interested. I am looking to install the sytem myself, but may need some help with the design. Any recommendations?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Last edited:

Joel_R

Reaction score

Fitter30

Reaction score
There is no better heat that floor radiate. Notting like from being outside when it's really cold half frozen coming in laying on a warm floor. Scorched air ( furnace)will never feel that good. Need to know the heat load in everyroom, how many zones do want to have and floor covering. Tile, wood or ? Wood need to know what is the manufacturer recommended temp limit might consider wood look ceramic. Any combi boiler gets its efficiency from condensing. The colder the return temp the more efficient it is below 140° above 87%.

Joel_R

Reaction score
There is no better heat that floor radiate. Notting like from being outside when it's really cold half frozen coming in laying on a warm floor. Scorched air ( furnace)will never feel that good. Need to know the heat load in everyroom, how many zones do want to have and floor covering. Tile, wood or ? Wood need to know what is the manufacturer recommended temp limit might consider wood look ceramic. Any combi boiler gets its efficiency from condensing. The colder the return temp the more efficient it is below 140° above 87%.
I'm completely sold on hydronic. Just need to figure out how to make it work on my budget.

Room 1 = 1500 BTU/h, tile (Zone 1)
Room 2 = 2500 BTU/h, tile (Zone 2)
Room 3 = 6000 BTU/h, wood (Zone 2)

We don't have harsh winters here - temps mainly in the 30's.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Hydronic is way overpriced for most So.Cal situations. That's probably why you didn't get interest off the bat from contractors. It is only for people with a robust budget. If you are tight on budget, consider waiting for the new rebates on heat pump HVAC coming in 2024. I am not read-up on it but I think the rebates are targeted at lower income households. And it would get you off fossil fuel.

Fitter30

Reaction score
10k btu's total load? Doubt there's a combi that would work. Guess this is condo? Domestic hot water need max gpm, coldest in coming water temperature to size it. Going with electric? With electric would go with electric heat cable.
Warmboard.com used their product 15 years ago under tile works great on grade concrete slab family room.

Joel_R

Reaction score
Hydronic is way overpriced for most So.Cal situations. That's probably why you didn't get interest off the bat from contractors. It is only for people with a robust budget. If you are tight on budget, consider waiting for the new rebates on heat pump HVAC coming in 2024. I am not read-up on it but I think the rebates are targeted at lower income households. And it would get you off fossil fuel.
I appreciate the insight. Actually, I am intentionally going for natural gas because our power is extremely unreliable, especially in the winter months. We had no power for 10 days last year.
I'm aware that power is still required for hydronic systems, but the load is much lower and more compatible with my backup battery and generator.

Joel_R

Reaction score
10k btu's total load? Doubt there's a combi that would work. Guess this is condo? Domestic hot water need max gpm, coldest in coming water temperature to size it. Going with electric? With electric would go with electric heat cable.
Warmboard.com used their product 15 years ago under tile works great on grade concrete slab family room.
Thanks for the info. This is a 1930's vintage Sears & Robuck mail-order cabin. No concrete slab. Max occupancy is 2, so the domestic hot water needs are pretty minimal. Going with natural gas as electric power is unreliable in winter. I have a small generator which will meet the basic pump/system needs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks