Hydrofracturing big uh-oh

Users who are viewing this thread

NewenglandGirl

Reaction score
We'd appreciate any input you can give us on this issue.

We hired a company (licensed) to do hydrofracturing in our New England well. While working on the well,
the cable became detached from the 20-25 foot steel tool they were using to pound the bottom of the well. The contractors tried multiple times to retrieve the tool and were unable to. The bit kept slipping lower and lower until they believe it hit bottom.

The good news? Our recovery rate from the pounding improved our GPM. The bad news is that we now have a 20 foot piece of steel permanently stuck at the bottom of our well. According to them, they can hydrofracture again in the future, but the well cannot be dug any deeper. Our well is approximately 200 feet.

In addition, when they were attempting to retrieve the tool, they damaged the coupling in the well case and are coming back to excavate and fix that.

I believe these are good guys, but I'm not happy that I have a piece of steel stuck in the bottom of my well. While my water is okay for now, I worry about the future. Future resale of my property. Future well issues. Will this cause any contamination of the well?

Any guidance as to our next step? I apologize for not knowing the technical terms and am willing to learn. Is it really okay leaving it there? Do I need a lawyer? Would their insurance cover this?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pretty common problem. There are lots of wells with 5-6 old pumps or a bailer stuck in the bottom. If you can pound them down far enough to not impede the wells production, most people never know they are down there. You really can't go back in an old well and drill it any deeper anyway, even without those tools at the bottom. And if you move over and drill a new well, there is no guarantee it will be any better than the old well. The biggest problem is that you are losing 20-25 foot of the well. But if you still have enough water that is OK. Believe me the well company doesn't like losing their tools anymore than you do. However, with a down hole camera and the right fishing tools there are not many things that can't be retrieved these days.

NewenglandGirl

Reaction score
Ugh, we have sooo much iron in our water as it is! Thanks for your response. I see it isn't the end of the world, but I'm still not happy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks