HUGE Water Leak Ruined my entire flooring in house. PEX To Compression Caused ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"new house last year and less than 6 months living there"

Then you should have home owners insurance and the insurance company will send out an adjuster who in turn may hire a master plumbers as a consultant

Once the adjuster and plumber decide who was at fault they will go after the installer and general contractor etc

Under no circumstances do any repairs on your own as the last one to touch it is responsible

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
"new house last year and less than 6 months living there"

Then you should have home owners insurance and the insurance company will send out an adjuster who in turn may hire a master plumbers as a consultant

Once the adjuster and plumber decide who was at fault they will go after the installer and general contractor etc

Under no circumstances do any repairs on your own as the last one to touch it is responsible
Good point sylvan , I didnt mention it but in the USA we usually need to provide a warranty we dont just flood new houses out and get to walk away from it . but in France I dont know if they have contractors or insurance . How they roll over there i guess homeowner just get screwed

Brandon Kelling

Reaction score
UPDATE to those who care: I Live in Texas Not France...I Will be deleting the decorative tube with the terrible gasket mechanism and going back with a Braided Flex hose that I found that has the correct connections on each end. It is not worth the risk with this terrible design. If a kid were to grab the water line with the solid tube it would spring a leak...

Reach4

Reaction score
UPDATE to those who care: I Live in Texas Not France...I Will be deleting the decorative tube with the terrible gasket mechanism and going back with a Braided Flex hose that I found that has the correct connections on each end. It is not worth the risk with this terrible design. If a kid were to grab the water line with the solid tube it would spring a leak...
I don't think the leak was due to having the solid tube. Instead I think t no fitting designed to meet with a 1/2 inch OD tube installed. I think the person who hooked that up messed up. A properly installed solid tube is less likely to cause a flood than a flex line -- not that floods from flex lines are all that common.

But if you are switching to flex, there is no need to find what would have been the right fitting.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry about the misunderstanding. We call the builder out to repair homes under warranty in my state its mandatory 1 year minimum.
But if you want to put a braided flex on go for it but I'd like a shut off valve there.

Brandon Kelling

Reaction score
QUICK Question friends..... Anybody objecting to putting a garden hose sillcock flush mounted to the floor on a pier and beam house and converting the threads from GHT To MIP then to the bath tub faucet ? Or are these threads notorious for leaks ??

hose.PNG

Reach4

Reaction score
QUICK Question friends..... Anybody objecting to putting a garden hose sillcock flush mounted to the floor on a pier and beam house and converting the threads from GHT To MIP then to the bath tub faucet ? Or are these threads notorious for leaks ??
I object.

Two reasons. Yes, they can leak, but that would also look incredibly junky, especially next to a froufrou claw foot tub.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those solid tube risers will hold pressure but I only install them into proper shut off valves that are solidly mounted to the framing and only if the tubes are very straight into the faucet. But being concerned with kids potential I would go with flexible lines after shut off valves. I would still have those fairly solidly mounted in the floor. Should be able to thread stop valves onto the MIP pex adapters you already have.

Brandon Kelling

Reaction score
Those solid tube risers will hold pressure but I only install them into proper shut off valves that are solidly mounted to the framing and only if the tubes are very straight into the faucet. But being concerned with kids potential I would go with flexible lines after shut off valves. I would still have those fairly solidly mounted in the floor. Should be able to thread stop valves onto the MIP pex adapters you already have.
Thank you for the advice that i am also taking into action. I am going with a 3/4 copper stub out with the mounting bracket to mount from under the house then using a sweat on 1/2 MIP fitting for the braided line to connect to...

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice that i am also taking into action. I am going with a 3/4 copper stub out with the mounting bracket to mount from under the house then using a sweat on 1/2 MIP fitting for the braided line to connect to...
Jeff also recommended valves.

If you are going to sweat a 1/2 inch adapter or valve to a stub out, that stub out would be 1/2 inch, and not 3/4. 1/2 inch stub outs are common.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hmm my PEX running to the floor is 3/4 and I found a 3/4 stub out and a 3/4 to 1/2 sweat MIP
sure if you have 3/4 PEX and want a 3/4 shut off that's great . if all parts are available not an issue.
I don't think anyone understands why you didn't have the responsible person warranty the job or pay damages unless its just a detail you didn't want to get into . but your repair idea sounds solid!

Brandon Kelling

Reaction score
sure if you have 3/4 PEX and want a 3/4 shut off that's great . if all parts are available not an issue.
I don't think anyone understands why you didn't have the responsible person warranty the job or pay damages unless its just a detail you didn't want to get into . but your repair idea sounds solid!
The Licensed plumber that did the plumbing in this new construction went out of business and does not have a phone to call that I can find.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The Licensed plumber that did the plumbing in this new construction went out of business and does not have a phone to call that I can find.

In civilized countries Master plumbers must carry insurance and they are responsible for work completed at the time he was IN BUSINESS

The plumbing industry board has all his information INCLUDING insurances carrier

Brandon Kelling

Reaction score
All done finally; the copper stub outs did not work because of channel iron under the hole. Had to adjust the Drain 5 times before it stopped leaking. Thanks all.

tub.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Wonder if the builder would have some liability for it was his sub.

Usually in case of a law suit every trade that was on the job is sued and in most cases they are guilty until proven innocent

Same as suing everyone in an operating room

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually in case of a law suit every trade that was on the job is sued and in most cases they are guilty until proven innocent

Same as suing everyone in an operating room

We recently got sued by a utility for performing work in the same neighborhood where someone cut an underground cable 2 blocks from our project.