How to run new shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

JuanSigned

Reaction score
I'm putting in a new shower and there is a challenge with where it needs to go. As you can see from the picture the drain comes down right above the foundation wall. The horizontal laser level line is set to the bottom of the sanitary T and the vertical line is set where the drain needs to be.

Img_3400.jpg

The arrow points to a drywall screw I've put through the sub-floor to mark the location of the drain. If I put the P Trap directly below the drain the only way out of the bay is to drill a 2 1/4" hole through the joist. And, I still have the problem of getting the proper slope to the sanitary T.

Img_3413.jpg

If the P Trap is out of the bay I would have to use a couple of 45 degree bends to make it work. But getting to the drain stack is straight forward. (Oh, and I have a 1 1/2" vent that will be about 14" from the trap regardless of which path is used.)

Img_3410.jpg

This space is an unfinished, heated, storage room. Is there a code issue with putting a 2 45 degree bends before the P Trap? This would be my preferred way to go if possible.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Put the two 45's on the vertical into the trap.
Pick up a solvent weld trap and get rid of the swivel with nut.
Make sure the trap grades down at 1/4" per foot to the vent.
Showers are done with 2", but there were plenty before the 70's that had 1.5"

JuanSigned

Reaction score
Put the two 45's on the vertical into the trap.
Pick up a solvent weld trap and get rid of the swivel with nut.
Make sure the trap grades down at 1/4" per foot to the vent.
Showers are done with 2", but there were plenty before the 70's that had 1.5"

Thanks Terry! The drain is a 2" line, the vent is 1 1/2" And I'll use a solvent weld P Trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks