How to repair ABS waste line cut in wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Yenohamer123

Reaction score
Dear friends, was doing some drywall work and nicked the ABS waste line in the wall. The waste line IS a waste line and not a vent line. the cut was from a multitool and it about 2 " long. Flushed the toilet upstairs and it does weep water.

QUESTION: Easiest way to fix ? Is there any novel repairs for these circumstances other than cutting and putting in a coupler ?

The ABS line is large in diameter and looks like a 4" line which in adjacent to a stud - so gettng around it would be a challenge. I could cut it and probably pull on it from the crawl space to get the space I need to put the coupler in and push it back together

Any other ideas out there would be appreciated - thank you !

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can find a slip coupling without the ridge in the middle that will be the easiest, Make a vertical cut on two sides somewhere past the centerline so you have one piece that looks like a "C" and the other on looks like ")". Take the "C" and coat it with ABS glue and do the same with the pipe around the hole. Then "snap" the coupling piece over the hole. You are done and it is permanent.

pvcslipcoupling.jpg

Yenohamer123

Reaction score
Thank you - was leaning towards the TL repair. ABS is tricky stuff concerning epoxys and glues - thank you very kindly for the confirmation ! God Bless !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks