How to open cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Hi. I am having a sewer blockage/backup for the first time since I lived in this house (9 years). I located the cleanout in the middle of the yard, but it doesn't look like it unscrews. See attached photo.

(1) How do you open this without breaking it?
(2) Should I have someone rod it the line or hydro jet? It is cast iron from the late 60s.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 133

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks more like a drain. you could try working at it a bit but id waste very little time on it before just cutting it off. I would expect snake , jet and camera inspect . if you are interested . othewise you can just snake it save money , but you may want to know whats going on by having a more thorough service

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a vent/clean out. There is a screw that is seized so I guess I either drill the screw out or break the cover off with a hammer. I am going to get the line inspected to see what’s going on, but was wondering if hydro jet is considered ok for old cast iron with lead joints. Do you have to snake before you jet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks