How to minimally extend PVC riser in shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Martina

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I am currently in the process of remodeling our master bath and ran into a plumbing issue. I plan on using the Schluter shower pan with Kerdi drain. After doing the demo and exposing the drain pipe, it appears that it may be slightly too short for the Kerdi drain to connect. We're talking about 1/2" or so. I'd normally just add a PVC coupler and additional piping, however, that is not a possibility in our case as it would raise the pipe too much. I did an online search and came across pipe extenders and inside connectors (see attached image), which I think may be a good option, but I was wondering if I would be violating plumbing code, because those fittings will reduce the water flow in the drain. We currently have a 2" riser pipe coming out of the ground (see image # 2). Thanks in advance for any forthcoming responses in trying to get this issue resolved.

Pipe Extenders.JPG
Bathroom Plumbing.jpg

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
You could cut that stub of pipe flush with the top end of the coupling below it and use a "socket saver" aka Ram Bit to ream out the remaining pipe from the coupling. Then you can glue in a new (longer) stub to the coupling.

Martina

Reaction score
You could cut that stub of pipe flush with the top end of the coupling below it and use a "socket saver" aka Ram Bit to ream out the remaining pipe from the coupling. Then you can glue in a new (longer) stub to the coupling.
I think that's a great solution! Thanks so much, jadziedzic! Didn't even know they made those.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks