How to determine if both water heater feed same line or seperate

Users who are viewing this thread

NAIRB

Reaction score
How do I determine if my water heaters are connected to same lines or if each one supplies certain faucets? I want to install recirculating pump to get hot water faster in kitchen (in middle of house) but not sure if one heater feeds kitchen or if both feed. If on same system, do I need to install a pump on both heaters?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You likely don't need a pump for both water heaters. The piping tells the tale. Show a picture of what the piping looks like near the water heater.

Do you have a dedicated recirculation line?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Assuming that each water heater has a shutoff valve, turn off one at a time and see which fixtures are affected.

Do you plan to add a dedicated return line for the recirc?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
One option is to install a recirc pump under the kitchen sink that dumps into the cold supply. Down side of that is you get tepid water from the cold tap.

NAIRB

Reaction score
Assuming that each water heater has a shutoff valve, turn off one at a time and see which fixtures are affected.

Do you plan to add a dedicated return line for the recirc?
Thanks for the info. I did not plan for a dedicated return line. Haven't even opened the box on pump. Figured I should get things straight before doing something I might regret.. is a dedicated line needed?

NAIRB

Reaction score
One option is to install a recirc pump under the kitchen sink that dumps into the cold supply. Down side of that is you get tepid water from the cold tap.
This might be the way to go. Would I install the sensor there still?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
They make recirc pumps specifically that use a thermostatic crossover under the sink to dump into the cold line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are a bunch of different recirculation systems. Some put the pump at the WH, some put it at the point of use, and how they work overall can end up the same. The pump requires power, and under a sink may or may not provide it easily, whereas it is often available near the WH. Some leave the pump running control the water flow with valves on each branch, some shut the pump off when the hot water level has arrived. None of the packaged residential systems get the water full hot at the point of use, so it isn't putting full hot into the cold-water return line. Mine shuts off at about 96-degrees, and a flush of the toilet clears nearly all of the warm water out of the cold line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks