How to clean system after iron bacteria?

Users who are viewing this thread

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
So we had our submersible well pump replaced due to lack of pressure during higher draw rates. Turned out the inlet to the pump was 90% blocked with iron bacteria. Replaced pump and then high concentration chlorine to disinfect.

We had the Fe filter and softener in bypass during the chlorination.

Im guessing both my systems need a good cleaning to rid the iron bacteria from resin.

Fe filter is KL with no injector. If I need to buy the parts then fine since we'll probably have to chlorinate yearly to keep it flowing correctly.

Softener I think would be easier but curious what to clean it with. I have some Ban-t (?) I can toss in the brine. Would that be the best action? Draw it in and let it sit or just normal regen?

Thoughts?

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
Thanks but our well has already been chlorinated and cleared out via running water thru the hose to a ditch.

My question is how to clean out my Fe filter and water softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would run a chlorinated solution thru the iron filter, and a much-less-chlorinated solution thru the softener. One way to do that is to circulate a solution using a pump, such as a small utility pump. You can feed water into your system via the drain valve at the pressure tank. You can refill the container with water from somewhere downstream of your softener. You don't want to use strong bleach solution on your resin for long. I give my thought on appropriate levels in my write-up. I believe in measuring the bleach concentration. Calculation can't really do it, because the bleach can get depleted doing its job.

Also, you can add bleach to the brine tank a while before a regen. From the Fleck manual, 5.25% Sodium Hypochlorite
These solutions are available under trade names such as Clorox*. If stronger solutions are used, such as those sold for
commercial laundries, adjust the dosage accordingly.
Dosage: Polystyrene resin; 1.2 fluid ounce (35.5 ml) per cubic foot.

Was there an improvement in your water taste or smell after you did your well chlorination? My more-complex method is aimed at killing stuff in areas that just pouring bleach down the casing will usually not reach.

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
I think so, although we don't drink the water from the faucet. We use a RO for drinking water.

I guess I'll try adding some bleach to my brine tank. I didn't think any bleach could get in the softener.

During the regen, do I let it soak or just let it run its normal course?

Reach4

Reaction score
This is more from the Fleck manual:
Disinfection Of Water Softeners
The materials of construction of the modern water softener
will not support bacterial growth, nor will these materials
contaminate a water supply. During normal use, a softener
may become fouled with organic matter, or in some cases with
bacteria from the water supply. This may result in an off-taste
or odor in the water.
Some softeners may need to be disinfected after installation
and some softeners will require periodic disinfection during
their normal life.
Depending upon the conditions of use, the style of softener, the
type of ion exchanger, and the disinfectant available, a choice
can be made among the following methods.

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
ok, so I'll add the bleach solution to my brine tank and do a regen. 2.5cu ft of Purolite SST 60 should be 3oz of 5.25% household bleach That hopefully will clean my softener.

As for my Fe filter, you say use a pump at the drain valve by pressure tank. Not sure how that would be done. I assume I would bypass the softener for this and run the house faucets to drain out the bleach. Could it be done with an injector, like a softener? That way it does it thru the regen process.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking that you circulate chlorinated water, and run that thru the iron filter.

So faucet downstream of the softener is set up to deliver water into a container. Utility pump pumps from the container into the drain valve at the pressure tank. Add chlorine, and vinegar to adjust pH, into the container. Don't get the pH too low.

Container could be the bowl of a sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks