How to bury an empty septic tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

WellDigger

Reaction score
I live in an off grid situation and it is time for a new septic tank. Original tank doesnt have a leech field. Original owner just had an out pipe into a serrated pipe. A new complete setup is going to cost around $45k. I really really dont feel like paying that. I am in a county gray zone of if your not asked, dont tell. They know I am active on the property because I just got 400amp service put in, but, I have been to the county and there are no well records and no septic record.

What I would like to do, is get a 1,000 gallon tank and use it like an RV tank, then just have it pumped out every so many years and not worry about a leech field, BUT, I have heard everyone screaming about filling the tank with water to keep it from being crushed and or floating. I didnt realize there was that "supposedly" (possible, not say its not true) pressure(s) against the tank. I was thinking maybe dig some dirt away from the sides 2 feet away so it is not really fully buried, but, half buried and covered. Also, it would be next to a 3ft cliff/drop off that goes into a stream, so, there would/should really be no water table under it as the water would drain out from under it.

Has anyone tried this or know of someone that has? Is there any info on the best way to bury a tank empty? I would prefer plastic over concrete for a totally sealed unit.

Thanks

oldVermonter

Reaction score
Your current setup is polluting the ground (and possibly surface) water for a long ways downgradient. People in poor countries really do die from diseases they catch from water contaminated with untreated sewage. The reason you don't see it in the U.S. is that we use well-designed septic systems -with- leach fields.

You really need to spend the money and build an approved septic system. If you can't afford it, there may be assistance available from the state.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your current setup is polluting the ground (and possibly surface) water for a long ways downgradient..
You may have misinterpreted what OP was proposing. OP proposed a holding tank. https://www.premiertechaqua.com/en-us/wastewater/holding-tank-vs-septic-tank Expecting to pump a 1000 gallon holding tank every two years sounds optimistic, or the usage will be very very low.

As to the current system, we could make assumptions. My suspicion is that it no longer accepts waste, but that does not necessarily mean that it causes pollution. Existing cesspools are still legal to use in many places.

For example: "The State of Hawaii recently banned new cesspools and created a law that requires all cesspools to be
closed by 2050. The State of Hawaii Legislature, through Act 132, established a Cesspool Conversation
Working Group. The purpose of this working group is to develop a long-range, comprehensive plan for
cesspool conversion statewide for all cesspools by 2050."

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What I would do is partially fill the tank with water to weigh it down. Then I would lay some strips of galvanized or vinyl coated chain link fencing over the tank and fold it up the sides of the hole. Partially fill the hole with a coarse stone large enough to not fit through the fence mesh and then cover the top of the stone with a heavy duty landscape filter cloth on top of which you can top it off with sand or soil. Keep in mind that due to the drainage, it would not likely support good grass growth unless it is frequently watered.

Keep in mind that the bacteria decomposing the sewage generates heat so it would be best not to completely empty the tank prior to very cold weather that would drive down the frost. You might want to consider laying straw on top of the ground in Winter where the tank is buried.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Um no. Call a dump truck service and have them bring you a load of sand. Fill the tank with sand and move on.

royalflush001

Reaction score
After digging the hole, place a layer of gravel at the bottom of the hole to create a stable and well-draining base for the septic tank. Backfill around the sides and on top of the septic tank using clean fill material like sand or gravel. This helps to provide additional support and prevents the tank from shifting. If your septic tank has access ports or lids, make sure they remain accessible and do not get buried. These access points are essential for future inspections, maintenance, and pumping.

WellDigger

Reaction score
Your current setup is polluting the ground (and possibly surface) water for a long ways downgradient. People in poor countries really do die from diseases they catch from water contaminated with untreated sewage. The reason you don't see it in the U.S. is that we use well-designed septic systems -with- leach fields.

You really need to spend the money and build an approved septic system. If you can't afford it, there may be assistance available from the state.

Wowa, easy there!! Right now I am using a compost toilet, no extra polluting going on, and, besides, taking out the neighbors makes it more quiet in the neighborhood! On a serious note, I do need to call the pumper out and get the old tank pumped out, just to see whats up.

My new tank will just be a holding tank.

Last edited:

WellDigger

Reaction score
Here is what I have and the tank plans, for now. I am also thinking of burying a propane tank next to it, so, that should take a little load off the plastic tank if I go plastic.

tank setup.png

What I would do is partially fill the tank with water to weigh it down. Then I would lay some strips of galvanized or vinyl coated chain link fencing over the tank and fold it up the sides of the hole. Partially fill the hole with a coarse stone large enough to not fit through the fence mesh and then cover the top of the stone with a heavy duty landscape filter cloth on top of which you can top it off with sand or soil. Keep in mind that due to the drainage, it would not likely support good grass growth unless it is frequently watered.

Keep in mind that the bacteria decomposing the sewage generates heat so it would be best not to completely empty the tank prior to very cold weather that would drive down the frost. You might want to consider laying straw on top of the ground in Winter where the tank is buried.

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
What the old system was is in fact a very simple one pipe septic drain field.
A new drain field with design and testing should cost about $5k. This would depend on any land improvements. We just did this in Vermont. Not sure if you would be opening a can of worms though.

WellDigger

Reaction score
I am right in the area were they have NO interest in dealing with septic.

I was allowed to do my own 400amp electrical. They came out to inspect it and basicaly took a 2 second look at it and said "yup, good to go but you need at least 1 circuit with a GFI on it". They never checked if I torques the wire lugs in the panel to spec, made sure there was no wire chaffing, never checked ground wire resistance or anything, lol.

As long as your not dumping sewage out onto the ground, I dont think they dont care, until they "have" to care.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
I did my own panel upgrade to 200A and they didn’t test any of those things either. I’m not sure who does? This isn’t in the middle of nowhere, it’s Philly/NYC suburbs.

I’m not sure why you care about “them”. Are you okay dumping toxic sludge into the environment without any treatment?

WellDigger

Reaction score
I did my own panel upgrade to 200A and they didn’t test any of those things either. I’m not sure who does? This isn’t in the middle of nowhere, it’s Philly/NYC suburbs.

I’m not sure why you care about “them”. Are you okay dumping toxic sludge into the environment without any treatment?
Seriously, lol??? If your gonna respond, at least take the time to skim through the thread so you can leave some educated comments.

The statement above doesnt tell you what I am or am not gonna do? "As long as your not dumping sewage out onto the ground, I dont think they dont care, until they "have" to care.". What does that make you think I am going to do? Maybe store it, possibly, ehy???

Storing and having it pumped every 2 years for $300 a round is a HELL of a lot cheaper than $35k! Blow your money how "you" want, dont bash me for saving mine.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No inspector does any testing. If they want to see testing they ask the contractor or homeowner to do it. Your responsible to make sure what you install is done correctly and tests properly. They aren't trained for proper safety during testing. They do visual inspection, checking visual indicators that things were done within the code. That's it. Performance and what not is up to whomever performs the work.

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
The 1000 gallon tank pumped every 2 years puts your daily discharge at 1.4 gallons. How are you going to manage with that little? We had our 1000 septic tank pumped and it took about 10 days for my wife and I to bring the level back up.

Last edited:

WellDigger

Reaction score
The 1000 gallon tank pumped every 2 years puts your daily discharge at 1.4 gallons. How are you going to manage with that little? We had our 1000 septic tank pumped and it took about 10 days for my wife and I to bring the level back up.

My grey water and black water are seperated. Grey water goes into underground sand trap with muclh beds and plants. I also I want to experiment with a vented fan drawing air from the house vent pipe through the septic system to see what kind of evaporation results I get. You would have to do a LOT of shyt'n to fill a 1,000 tank. Besides, sounds like your using too much water, lol!!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, they sure as hell are trained to take my money for inspecting!!
They see all kinds of crap. They are mostly there to weed out bad apples. People who want to do a decent job and be compliant with professional standards don't really need to worry about inspectors. It's the guy who makes homemade electical boxes out of old birdhouses, that's who they are looking to correct. A lot of old timers learned from other old timers who really had no idea what they were doing.

WellDigger

Reaction score
Whats wrong with a bird house? Automatic fried chicken dinner when you come home from work, win win!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks