how to add additional wall sprayer to shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

adriene

Reaction score
please advise what brand of single handle shower faucet and how to add additional flush wall mounted body sprayer to the system.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have had a Delta 1200 for several years. We like it a lot, but recently we wanted a hand held sprayer. Found that Delta makes several and purchased one. Simple install and works great. Less than $50 at Home Depot. Not sure that fits your desire for a flush wall mount sprayer or not. The faucet operates with a single handle that controls off/on and volume. Temperature is regulated with a knob on the faucet body that not only allows the temperature to be raised and lowered, but is also the anti-scale control.

adriene

Reaction score
I have had a Delta 1200 for several years. We like it a lot, but recently we wanted a hand held sprayer. Found that Delta makes several and purchased one. Simple install and works great. Less than $50 at Home Depot. Not sure that fits your desire for a flush wall mount sprayer or not. The faucet operates with a single handle that controls off/on and volume. Temperature is regulated with a knob on the faucet body that not only allows the temperature to be raised and lowered, but is also the anti-scale control.
thanks but i dont want a hand held i want a flush mount in addition to the fixed shower head on the same system.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Having them all come on or off at the same time is fairly easy...it gets more complicated when you want to control them individually. If you have tiled walls, and are not doing a reconstruction, cutting holes in the tile to add new features is tough, especially if you can't access the back of the wall to run the needed new plumbing. So, it's kind of hard to give you good info, since your request is somewhat vague.

Another thing to consider is the amount of hot water you have - run lots of heads at the same time, and you can run the HW tank out fairly quickly. Plus, there's a definite limit on how much flow you can get through a typical valve, and you might need to upgrade the lines and valve to 3/4" or even 1" in an extreme situation. That's not counting the size of the drain line, which might no longer be large enough. There's a limit on the gpm a typical 2" drain line in a shower can handle, and an upgrade is required.

NickK

Reaction score
If you want to have body sprays or an additional hand shower you are looking for what is called a shower system. Shower systems typically have a normal on/off mixing valve control handle PLUS a diverter. The diverter is used to send the water to the various peripheral shower spray outlets (such as wall mounted body sprays). For a very detailed look at how to put together one of these systems see this article on Delta shower systems. While the article is specific to Delta all shower systems basically work the same way. You have a lot of flexibility with exactly which components you will have. Just keep in mind it takes some planning when you have the walls open. It's not very easy to simply add body sprays after the tile is up as pipes need to be run to each spray outlet. Hope this helps!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It seems to me that what you want will require some serious plumbing. In other words, it's not going to be a simple add on fixture like I suggested in my response earlier.