How long can the drain line run to a ptrap

Users who are viewing this thread

Benzman

Reaction score
I'm moving my tub 5 feet from the old location. It is on a concrete slab floor. The original builder placed the trap for the old tub under the slab. I cut out the concrete for the run to the new tub, ( about 5 ft.) but I cannot get to the original ptrap without breaking up more concrete. Can I just run the drain from the tub 5 feet to the old trap? Should I put in a new trap and basically have 2 in the one line...or should I bite the bullet and break up more concrete and remove the old trap that is 5 feet away from the new tub?
Thanks in advance for any info.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
No, https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-under-shower-or-can-it-be-9-feet-away.72469/

Florida uses IPC. Moving the tub drain still has to be in the limits of the vent. The tub trap arm maybe 1.5 inches but the drain pipe make it 2".
All homes on slabs have glued p traps below grade for tubs and showers. You'll need to break up more concrete to cut the pipe past the trap. All import is the slope. Some torpedo levels have a little extra line to determine proper slope. When the bubble touches the other line, it's at 1/4" slope. Others have a marked bubble. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-8-in-True-Blue-Magnetic-Billet-Torpedo-Level-EM71-8/203811785

Also, don't think you can have two traps, the tub won't drain.

https://up.codes/viewer/florida/fl-plumbing-code-2017/chapter/9/vents#905Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 7.49.53 PM.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You CANNOT put two p-traps in series on the line. Keep in mind that the line still needs slope, and in 5', the tub end would need to be at least 1-1/4" higher, which may not work. The hassle about a long run to a p-trap is that, especially in a tub, that line will tend to accumulate soap scum, hair, etc., and being above the p-trap, it can start to smell. If you did get a clog, it would be nearly impossible to run a snake through it. So, without knowing a bit more of how the lines are run, you might be able to do it, but probably shouldn't.

Mark In Florida

Reaction score
I was going to ask a similar question. I'm removing an old plastic shower pan, on a slab, and moving the drain about 6 inches. I noticed no p trap below the old drain. I'm assuming, based on what you've said about buried p traps in slabs, that it must be under the slab, and I just can't see it? I have zero odor, zero water back up, and even with the pipe open, still no odor. I've never encountered a "remote" p trap, but I've never worked on a Florida slab home before, either. The remote slab is common then? This back bathroom was put on my house in the 1980's, best I can tell. Thank you for any more guidance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Best practice is to put the p-trap beneath the drain. FL has some weird local customs and some of them do not meet industry standards.

Sometimes, after the slab has been poured, the walls and things aren't always exactly where they thought they'd be. Usually on something like this, they'd leave a section of the slab pour out so that the plumber can install the trap where it needs to go, then they fill in the hole. Detecting that patch may or may not be easy, if it exists.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks