How far to extend shower tile?

Users who are viewing this thread

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
I am in the process of planning out my bathroom shower. The walls will be tongue and groove pine (finished to protect from water) and the ceiling is corrugated metal.

I am wondering how far past the edge of my shower to extend the tile on the walls. The shower itself is 4'x4'. I am thinking of extending the tile maybe 6"-12" beyond the shower perimeter.

Any recommendations?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, people will extend the tile far enough out of the shower to be able to get an aesthetic look so they can run a leg down to the floor. Some will use a trim tile (if available), some end up cutting a wall tile around the outer edge of the pan/curb assembly. Whatever looks good to you and your significant other. Somewhat depends on whether you're using a door or a curtain and what trim or edge treatment is available.

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
This is a walk in shower. My plan is to use the tile that looks like wood plank (and something more textured for the base, obviously). I would like to go with a frameless glass door.

The theme of this place is a rustic barn theme. Which means wood and metal in most places. The rest of the place has tongue and groove walls with a galvanized corrugated metal ceiling. With that thought in mind, I think I may just go with a metal edge trim.

I think it will look fine however far I extend it. My main concern was just protecting the wood from direct water contact. I am sure there will be plenty of moisture in the air, so the wood will be finished with a few coats of poly.

I don't really know how much water splashes beyond a shower door or curtain normally.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most decent glass shower doors won't get water outside of them except maybe if you first turn it on then walk in. There are three generalized types of shower valves:
- single handle
- dual handle, mix and volume
- dual handle, volume and thermostatic control

If you get the last type, you can turn it on, wait for the hot to arrive, then be assured it will be your desired temp. Using the volume control, you can get in there without it spraying all over in the process. The most common (and least expensive) single handle ones are an all or nothing situation, so that's not possible. The middle one is similar to the thermostatically controlled valve, but because the hot and cold will vary between seasons, and maybe the beginning and end of your shower, you may need to tweak the mix a lot more often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks