How do I connect 4" ABS to 4" SDR35?

Users who are viewing this thread

PatNS

Reaction score
The flared gasket end of 4" SDR35 comes in my basemen from the municipal sewer connection under the road. The plumbing drains in my house end with 4" ABS. Is there an adapter or fitting specifically for that connection or is there a combination of switching from ABS to Sch40 PVC to the SDR35? I was looking on the websites for building supply retailers around me and cannot find anything. I would rather get laughed at on the internet for my incompetence and ignorance than to my face in a specialty supply store. Thanks in advance for any help.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are solvent weld SDR35 to Schedule 40 adapters. Basically a thin ring of PVC that has the same OD as Sch40 Pipe and the same ID as SDR35's OD.

So you can use a short length of SDR35 pipe into the gasketed SDR35 stubout you have; then solvent weld the Schedule 40 adapter to it; then use a 4" plastic to 4" plastic shielded rubber coupling to connect that to ABS pipe. E.g. Fernco 3005-44 or Mission P-400.

Now for solvent weld hub-end SDR35 pipe, the hub OD is a very close match to the Schedule 40 pipe OD (4.50"). If the same is true for gasket end SDR35 pipe, you could skip the adapter and just use the shielded rubber coupling on the SDR35 hub. I'd still suggest inserting a stub of SDR35 pipe, flush with the end of the hub, to fill the low spot you'd otherwise have.

Also, I see that Fernco 3009-44 or Mission TWP-44 will directly connect SDR 35 pipe to Schedule 40 pipe. So if you can get one of those, and a short piece of SDR35 pipe, that's probably the best option.

Cheers, Wayne

PatNS

Reaction score
That's great. Thank you Wayne.
If I understand correctly, and if I have enough SDR35 inside of my basement, I can just cut the flared end / gasket end off. As in, I don’t actually have to insert anything into the SDR35, I would be putting an adapter or coupling over the outside of it. I’m guessing those flared gasket ends are for connecting multiple SDR pipes end to end in a longer run?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if you actually have enough pipe stubbed in just wack the end off and put a band on and run the ab

PatNS

Reaction score
Thank you Jeff, you answered my follow up to Wayne while I was waiting for the post to be approved.
I really expected this connection to be more complicated with some specialized fitting but that's great to hear.

When I was trying to figure this out on my own before I signed up for this forum I was finding a lot of negative comments on SDR35 but it's what my municipality uses so I guess I don't have much choice. Where the portion of the piping is on my property, and which I am responsible for, will never be driven on. Plus, the house is so close to the road that there is only one length of pipe anyway so hopefully I won't be digging up crushed sewer pipe anytime soon.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you Jeff, you answered my follow up to Wayne while I was waiting for the post to be approved.
I really expected this connection to be more complicated with some specialized fitting but that's great to hear.

When I was trying to figure this out on my own before I signed up for this forum I was finding a lot of negative comments on SDR35 but it's what my municipality uses so I guess I don't have much choice. Where the portion of the piping is on my property, and which I am responsible for, will never be driven on. Plus, the house is so close to the road that there is only one length of pipe anyway so hopefully I won't be digging up crushed sewer pipe anytime soon.
SDR35 is approved for exterior use only in my area. The transition would be done outside of the foot print of a home. Not sure about in Canada.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks