How do I attach trap to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Walkman

Reaction score
This is a 1 1/2" copper pipe that has a 1 1/4" chrome pipe soldered into it. The chrome piece has seen better days but is still serviceable. I'm going to install a PVC trap since it's inside a vanity but the tailpiece doesn't attach to this 1 1/4" piece of chrome.

Should I get a coupling, or should I be trying to get rid of the chrome pipe soldered into the copper?

plumb_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be able to find a tubular compression coupling fitting that will attach to what you have. That being said, sometimes, soldering to a chromed pipe doesn't make for the greatest bond, but since there's generally little to no pressure on the connection, it probably doesn't leak.

Walkman

Reaction score
Should I apply heat to the copper and get the chrome and solder out (or cut it flush so I could use a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" couple to attach the trap tailpiece to the copper?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Should I apply heat to the copper and get the chrome and solder out (or cut it flush so I could use a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" couple to attach the trap tailpiece to the copper?

Yes,heat that joint up and remove the chromed brass tubular. Put a jersey work glove on and while its hot wipe all that solder away. If thats 1.5" copper then use a 1.5" trap. if you want to solder it in you will need a brass trap(chromed or rough)

You could buy a trap adapter and solder it onto the copper. It has a slip joint connection to transition to tubular.

Or you could use a fernco and use a tubular trap.

Tubular is sold in chromed brass,rough brass and plastic.

Goodluck!

plumdum

Plumber
Reaction score
How about cutting the copper behind the solder and and sweat a male adapter on? Then you can adapt your trap arm to it. I did this many times on an old building I used to work at when the chrome tube rotted out.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Personally I would remove the existing 1.25 tubular out of the 1.5" copper and solder in a 1.5" chromed brass trap. If it was a dump rental house that was nasty......I'd throw a fernco at it and walk out.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Personally I would remove the existing 1.25 tubular out of the 1.5" copper and solder in a 1.5" chromed brass trap. If it was a dump rental house that was nasty......I'd throw a fernco at it and walk out.

You may see it like a dump but it,s someones home and there your customer. If it's beneath you to work there why take the job in the first place. You must be a real sweet heart.

John

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
You may see it like a dump but it,s someones home and there your customer. If it's beneath you to work there why take the job in the first place. You must be a real sweet heart.

John

Sorry sir but they are not my customer. The occupy the home they rent. If they think so much of it then they should clean it up. It's ok to be poor but there is no excuse to be nasty. Love Ya!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why try to solder a new trap into it. To do that you would have to remove the chrome plating. Cut the tubing off or unsolder the existing trap. Get a 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" MIP brass trap connector, it will solder over the 1 1/2" copper then slip the new trap into it and tighten the compression nut.

trap_adapter_brass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why try to solder a new trap into it. To do that you would have to remove the chrome plating. Cut the tubing off or unsolder the existing trap. Get a 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" MIP brass trap connector, it will solder over the 1 1/2" copper then slip the new trap into it and tighten the compression nut.

Even I as a DIYer did it this way by unsoldering the old brass tube and sweated on a trap adapter. in 1970, the builder of my housedid it cheaply by sweating the trap arm into the 1 1/2 stub. It worked fine until the trap arm crumbled away when I tried to remove the lav sink tailpiece P trap nut

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks