Hot tub wiring (outdoor junction box)

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
Got lucky and found a used hot tub that I couldn't pass on. The old tub that came with the house was not wired "correctly" and I'd like to do this one right.

You can see how the spa panel is where it's not supposed to be. I'd like to locate it where the red box is. However, the existing wiring from the home panel comes around the corner in the conduit in the lower right, and the existing wires aren't long enough.

I'd like to extend the wires (so that the spa panel is more than 6 feet from the tub but still line-of-sight) without re-doing everything. Can I put a screwed-shut junction box where the blue square is and just add/extend the wiring with wire nuts? Does it need to be a certain height off the ground? It will not be easily opened like a spa panel - it'll just be an outdoor junction box that you need a screwdriver to open.

I'll use Schedule 80 conduit to continue the run to the spa panel.

Thank you.
IMG_2422.JPG

Reactions: sgw
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks