Horizontal sink drain alteration

Users who are viewing this thread

jeromio

Reaction score
I am re-doing the kitchen and "while I'm at it" I figured I could improve the basement by moving the sink's drain line over by 4 ft. Here's a proposed before/after pic (not to scale):
kitchen-drain-mod.png

In the basement below, this would move that pipe over from the middle of the room, closer to a wall (and closer to the sewer line it empties into). I really just want to verify that this is okay to do. The kitchen and sewer lines are on opposite corners of the house, so that horizontal line is 25ft long and must drop quite a bit over that distance, nearing head height. Much less obtrusive if it starts closer to the wall (and I realize I'm losing an inch by pushing it orthogonal before it cuts across, but the existing pipe drops down by an extra 4 inches before the sweep 90, so I'm curing that also). Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, both work. 90 degree bend as the drainage goes vertical to horizontal must be long sweep. The horizontal to vertical would best be a long sweep, but that is usually allowed to be long or medium.

Because NC uses IPC, that vent connection can be a sanitary tee on its back. A "combo" is required under some codes.

Do put a trap adapter at the wall, and that lets you use slip joint traps. It also lets you rod the horizontal line easier. 2 inch pipe, but 1.5 inch slip joint trap is good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks