Help with selecting a water filtration/softener system for house

Users who are viewing this thread

Flecktones

Reaction score
I've been pouring over the recent threads and gotten a bit confused on the options. So, I'm going to lay out the situation and would appreciate any feedback to help guide me through this.
I live in Central Texas, and have a 4800 sq ft house with 5.5 bathrooms. 2 adults 2 kids still in elementary school. We do have hard water - my city's water report is at http://www.friscotexas.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/2259.

So far, I have had a consultation with Culligan tech and was not too satisfied with what they told me reg. the filtration using their High Efficiency water softener system and how they remove chloramine; moreover the cost was on the higher side.
My neighbor got the install done via a different guy who uses HydroSpring Water Softener & Conditioner system: http://rbswaterresources.com/productsdocx/hydrospring.pdf. along with Proline Plus RO system for drinking water in the kitchen. I really don't know much about these but he has been using that for 2 years now and is very happy with it. I know the price is half of Culligan's! This has the 10% cross-resin and I think will have to take the optional 2nd media tank as well for the carbon.
Another neighbor has gone for the Aquasana filtration system and softener route. Is Aquasana really worth it?

I initially was looking for water softener and drinking water RO system in the kitchen, specifically these 2:
1. Water Softener system: Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain - https://www.amazon.com/Fleck-5600SXT-Softener-Digital-Metered/product-reviews/B00OGN3162
2. RO Filtration: iSpring RCC7 High Capacity Under Sink 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water - https://www.amazon.com/iSpring-RCC7-Filtration-Softener-Certified/dp/B003XELTTG

But after researching here, I think I need a water filtration system or a carbon filtration to remove the chlorine/chloramine, and then the other 2. or maybe not!

Could you guys please let me know what exactly I should be looking for ? Would appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
The water report you linked to does not mention Chloramine (Chlorine + Ammonia) but does specify Chlorine residual in the treated water. Chloramine is much more difficult to remove than plain Chlorine so a large volume (2+ cuft) of Catalytic carbon would be required whereas to remove Chlorine, activated carbon such as GAC (granular activated carbon) would be sufficient.

As too many online dealers have provided insufficient and inappropriate support for the equipment they sell, both Fleck and Clack have adopted policies utilizing dealers who both sell and service equipment, thereby eliminating most online dealers. Older and less capable Fleck models such as the 5600 continue to remain available online.

Clack offer variations of their WS1 model such as time clock control (water filter) vs metered operation (water softener) and 1.25" porting vs 1". What size plumbing is in your home and is there any high volume fixtures (multi-head showers, hot tub etc)?

Last edited:

Flecktones

Reaction score
The water report you linked to does not mention Chloramine (Chlorine + Ammonia) but does specify Chlorine residual in the treated water. Chloramine is much more difficult to remove than plain Chlorine so a large volume (2+ cuft) of Catalytic carbon would be required whereas to remove Chlorine, activated carbon such as GAC (granular activated carbon) would be sufficient.

As too many online dealers have provided insufficient and inappropriate support for the equipment they sell, both Fleck and Clack have adopted policies utilizing dealers who both sell and service equipment, thereby eliminating most online dealers. Older and less capable Fleck models such as the 5600 continue to remain available online.

Clack offer variations of their WS1 model such as time clock control (water filter) vs metered operation (water softener) and 1.25" porting vs 1". What size plumbing is in your home and is there any high volume fixtures (multi-head showers, hot tub etc)?
Thank you for the details.
Yes, they don't show the combined chlorine, but there is chloramine used and I have asked them to include that as well so it is transparent. Not sure if / when they do it.
From what the builder said, we have 1" plumbing - is there an easy way to find out without ripping the drywall near the water closure valve in the garage? Would it be the same size plumbing under the sink?

What would be your suggestion - what models should I setup in what configuration? Would any of the models I linked in the OP look ok? I'm not going the Culligan way for sure. Not sure about HydroSpring or Fleck or Aquasana, hence trying to get feedback from you experienced folks :)

Thank you

intel2020

Reaction score
I've been pouring over the recent threads and gotten a bit confused on the options. So, I'm going to lay out the situation and would appreciate any feedback to help guide me through this.........

I was in a similar spot with needing a new water treatment solution for pretty good city water, just very hard (~21 gpg). Saw all of the online systems available, but found this forum. This forum is by far the best I have found on the Internet for residential water treatment solutions and ideas to resolve existing water challenges. Based on all of my research, and the fact that I have owned two Fleck systems over the years which have been pretty much a "set and forget" solution for me, advice for many solutions on this site, I decided to stay with Fleck. My new solution is again Fleck (Pentair) based valve system, i.e. a 5810 XTR2 (softener) and 5810 STX (carbon to remove chlorine and other organics that carbon removes). Extremely happy with the system performance, cost, and support.

Here is my system: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_owtKNMuwKb0wyQmMycENaWEE/view

Flecktones

Reaction score
I was in a similar spot with needing a new water treatment solution for pretty good city water, just very hard (~21 gpg). Saw all of the online systems available, but found this forum. This forum is by far the best I have found on the Internet for residential water treatment solutions and ideas to resolve existing water challenges. Based on all of my research, and the fact that I have owned two Fleck systems over the years which have been pretty much a "set and forget" solution for me, advice for many solutions on this site, I decided to stay with Fleck. My new solution is again Fleck (Pentair) based valve system, i.e. a 5810 XTR2 (softener) and 5810 STX (carbon to remove chlorine and other organics that carbon removes). Extremely happy with the system performance, cost, and support.

Here is my system: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_owtKNMuwKb0wyQmMycENaWEE/view
That looks pretty neat! You have another RO system under the sink for drinking water ? How do I go about understanding how to setup this configuration? Are there approved dealers/vendors online or in Texas for this?

intel2020

Reaction score
*** Deleted my post ***

Feels like I offended some folks here with posting my my experience and project approach. Did not mean any to.

*** Good Luck ***

Again, thanks for all of the help to all that helped me, appreciated the education and assistance.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Lets start all over...

5.5 bathrooms, this would typically mean you have a 1.25" mainline. Can you confirm? The units you mentioned, no they are not worth it. Salt Free "Softening" is a term that will be removed in the near future from certain associations that specialize in water treatment. Softened water is water that has less than 1 GPG of hardness. Other units are conditioners.
For your application the 5600 is not large enough. That is a 3/4" valve. It may work, but it is not appropriate.

Their are appropriately sized systems available at reasonable prices like the Fleck 5810 or Clack WS125. These should be purchased from local dealers who actually understand local codes and installation requirements.

"The inlet and outlet diameter the water softener must match the diameter if the pipe at the installation location UPC610.2 There is a common notion that you can reduce the pipe size b one size... this is not the case. The code and compliance is far more complex than what I stated but that is a classroom topic, not a DIY board thing that can be typed in less than an hour.

The mixed bed design you listed above... not a fan. Calcite? Really, aren't we trying to remove calcite with the softener? KDF... it just falls to the bottom and doesn't do anything. Anthracite sounds neat but in all reality it is not needed at all. Non backwashing... I have gone over this multiple times, I will simplify it... use a backwashing valve on the carbon tank. If you want to know why just come to our offices and we will empty out a non backwashing carbon tank that has been in the filed for 2 years...

Bannerman

Reaction score
From what the builder said, we have 1" plumbing - is there an easy way to find out without ripping the drywall near the water closure valve in the garage?
A softener will typically be located close to the main water shutoff valve where the water feed enters the home. If a softener loop is not already installed and if main pipes are within the walls, some drywall will need to be temporarily removed to provide pipe access.

Would it be the same size plumbing under the sink?
Branch runs (to sinks and toilets) usually utilize smaller pipes, often 1/2" diameter. A softener servicing the entire house is to be installed on the main feed line. As Ditttohead mentioned, the incoming water line to a house with 5.5 baths is typically 1.25".

Flecktones

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the replies. Out this weekend, but on Sunday evening upon my return, I will rip out some drywall around the water shutoff valve in the garage to see the plumbing size, and reply back.

Flecktones

Reaction score
Had to remove the shelves in front. But looks like I have easy access to the plumbing pipe, there is an access on top of the water shutoff valve. Pictures attached.

The outer circumference for the translucent pipe on the left is about 4". I have a laundry drain right behind this wall that I can use as drain for the water softener system.

Attachments

• 1 Water Shutoff Valve in Garage With Plumbing Access on Top.JPG
    1 Water Shutoff Valve in Garage With Plumbing Access on Top.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 390
  • 2 Water Shutoff Valve.JPG
    2 Water Shutoff Valve.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 3 Plumbing Access on top.JPG
    3 Plumbing Access on top.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 402
  • 4 Laundry Drain.jpg
    4 Laundry Drain.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The outer diameter for the translucent pipe on the left is about 4".
The circumference may be about 4 inches, but not the diameter. The circumference of 1 inch PEX is a little over 3.5 inches. The outer diameter is 1.125.

Flecktones

Reaction score
The circumference may be about 4 inches, but not the diameter. The circumference of 1 inch PEX is a little over 3.5 inches. The outer diameter is 1.125.
you are right. I edited the post correctly now to show circumference of the PEX translucent tube is 4"

Last edited:

Flecktones

Reaction score
The outer circumference is just a tad under 4" i would say. so would that make this a 1.25" PEX pipe? Thank you for the questions, helps guide me to where I should be going! What would you suggest on this

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks