Help with Radiant System

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I have a 1931 home with radiant heat. The 2nd story tends to be a few degrees cooler than the 1st story and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about it. I started reading about making sure the radiators are balanced, but as far as I can tell, my radiators don't have a lockshield valve.

The 2nd story has been about 3-4 degrees cooler than the 1st story, but one room on the 2nd floor is particularly bad. The radiator in that room is very small and I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
If this is one zone then you are limited in what you can do. I would suggest checking the thermostat placement. I'm guessing it's downstairs and get satisfied quick and then cuts off your heat. Usually this is balanced out by the fact that heat rises and the 2nd floor benefits from that rising heat. That isn't always the case, and it sounds like you have the latter.

Usually rooms that have multiple exterior walls/windows will have a greater heat loss and need larger radiator to make up that loss. Is this a new problem, or has it always been this way since you've owned the house?

You didn't tell us what kind of radiators you have, are they the cast iron standup? Baseboard Castiron, baseboard fin-tube?

Another option depending on how your system is piped is having it zoned into an upstairs and a downstairs loop. That way each floor can have it's own t-stat. Sometimes this is easily done with minimal work in the basement, other times it needs lots of repiping.

Is the radiator in that room getting as hot as the others? If not it could need to have air purged from it.

Try and get us some more info and maybe we can help with more tips. Pics always help too!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks