Help with Freestanding tub Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

IZ01

Reaction score
We hired a GC to replace a jacuzzi tub in our bathroom with a freestanding tub. Rather than the drain connecting directly under the tub, the plumber (without discussing it with us) cut a hole in the side of the tub and ran the drain pipe through it and there is a gap between the bathtub and the wall with a vent pipe sticking up between them. None of this was ever discussed with us when we planned the job with our GC. He had the exact tub we were purchasing before we purchased and the tub was delivered before the project started. Is this typical/ installed correctly? Is this likely to lead to any issues with the structure of the tub?

Pictures are here:

iz01-01.jpg

iz01-02.jpg

iz01-03.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The drain coming through the floor should have been located underneath the tub but you would still have had to have the AAV in an accessible location.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you have pictures of the drain in the floor?
If there is a p-trap in the floor, the AAV is in the wrong spot.
If there is a p-trap under the tub, which I doubt, then it would work.
What is the model number of the tub you have there so that we can look up the instructions for it.

IZ01

Reaction score
Do you have pictures of the drain in the floor?
If there is a p-trap in the floor, the AAV is in the wrong spot.
If there is a p-trap under the tub, which I doubt, then it would work.
What is the model number of the tub you have there so that we can look up the instructions for it.

Thank you. Here is a photo of the floor opened. I’m hoping that although it’s unsightly it’s functioning.

iz01-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unless there is a way that the p-trap is vented that we don't see here in the picture, then I would have to say that they did it wrong. Without venting, when you drain the tub, it will siphon the trap.

The AAV behind the tub is doing nothing. They obviously don't understand how plumbing works. It's too bad a permit wasn't pulled for that job. That would have gotten it looked at before cover.

dwv_b2.jpg

The vent for the tub trap is downstream of it, not installed at the top where it's just ornamental.

IZ01

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I will relay that the ptrap should have been before the vent.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"There was a tub there to begin with. It was probably vented and is still vented. "

This is likely true. If all they did was extend an existing tub trap, and it was vented before, then the AAV over the santee is an extra.
I would consider leaving it there as a convenient cleanout for future use. It doesn't hurt to have it there, and for snaking purposes, it easily unthreads for access.

I think it's time to fill the tub and take a warm, relaxing bath now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks