Drain for freestanding tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Dogwell

Reaction score
Hi All. We are remodeling and are not sure on the options for this tub drain. We have post tension slab so breaking the concrete is not really an option this drain is about 2 ft from the wall making the tub stick out quite a bit. I've seen a lot of freestanding tubs come with flexible hose drains, but I imagine those accordion style folds would easily clog / smell / do all sorts of things down the line. Is there any other option to move this drain? Do angled pipes exist? Is there a limit to the how far the horizontal pipe can extend if we try to push the black pipe / white elbow to the center? Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220914-124918_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220914-124918_Gallery.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 292

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it's important, you can get the slab x-rayed to determine where the post-tensioning ducts are, and break out concrete while staying away from them.

As to using the existing location (and trap, presumably under there), you could consider a side outlet waste and overflow. Although depending on the footprint of the freestanding tub, it could still be a trip hazard, and you'd have to fill in some of the slab for your finish flooring. Plus any slip joint connection has to remain accessible.

E.g. https://www.oatey.com/products/dear...-stopper-chrome-finish-side-drain--1334655959

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is that a slab on grade post tension? or a second floor? When we need to modify or drill through post tension we hire a company that uses sonar machines to find all the cables in the slab. They also do drain locates. Once we know where all the cables are we can then determine whether the drain can be moved.

There are tubs that have a considerable amount of space between the drain and the floor that you could offset your drain above the floor.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just completed a free standing rough in scheduled to set tub tommorow it came with the silly hose which I plan to trash.
I used the free standing bath fitting kind of expensive but Im confident that this will be the easiest master tub Ive set in many years. Mine will sit on floor with leveling feet and ill caulk it in concealed spots. the tailpiece just gets lubed up and pushes into the drain assembly that is screwed to floor

Dogwell

Reaction score
If it's important, you can get the slab x-rayed to determine where the post-tensioning ducts are, and break out concrete while staying away from them.

As to using the existing location (and trap, presumably under there), you could consider a side outlet waste and overflow. Although depending on the footprint of the freestanding tub, it could still be a trip hazard, and you'd have to fill in some of the slab for your finish flooring. Plus any slip joint connection has to remain accessible.

E.g. https://www.oatey.com/products/dear...-stopper-chrome-finish-side-drain--1334655959

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you. Unfortunately getting the cement x-rayed is out of the budget so we will have to stick to the location if we can't move the drain. Thank you for the link to the side drain!

Dogwell

Reaction score
Is that a slab on grade post tension? or a second floor? When we need to modify or drill through post tension we hire a company that uses sonar machines to find all the cables in the slab. They also do drain locates. Once we know where all the cables are we can then determine whether the drain can be moved.

There are tubs that have a considerable amount of space between the drain and the floor that you could offset your drain above the floor.
It's a slab on grade. Unfortunately the cost for getting the x-ray is not in our budget. Can you please explain what we would have to do to be able to offset the drain above the floor? Can we just extend the horizontal pipe?

Thank you. Unfortunately getting the xray is out of budget so if we can't move we will just be stuck to current position. Can you please explain how to offset the drain above the floor? Can we just extend the horizontal pipe? Many thanks!

Dogwell

Reaction score

It's a slab on grade. Unfortunately the cost for getting the x-ray is not in our budget. Can you please explain what we would have to do to be able to offset the drain above the floor? Can we just extend the horizontal pipe?

Thank you. Unfortunately getting the xray is out of budget so if we can't move we will just be stuck to current position. Can you please explain how to offset the drain above the floor? Can we just extend the horizontal pipe? Many thanks
I just completed a free standing rough in scheduled to set tub tommorow it came with the silly hose which I plan to trash.
I used the free standing bath fitting kind of expensive but Im confident that this will be the easiest master tub Ive set in many years. Mine will sit on floor with leveling feet and ill caulk it in concealed spots. the tailpiece just gets lubed up and pushes into the drain assembly that is screwed to floor
I've seen those. They look great. Unfortunately this drain location is sticking out so much.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Running horizontally under the tub will only work if the tub has room underneath of it. Like the Jacuzzi tub I linked to above.

It might help to know if you've already purchased a tub and if you have a link to its spec sheet / dimensions. And perhaps a drawing of the layout of the bathroom / tub and existing tub hole. Those are your limiting factors to work around.

But essentially if your tub can lay across the corner of that hole, you can offset the drain from that standpipe over to the drain hole of the tub. Using the same tub shoe as in the horizontal part of the assembly sticking out of the ground. If it has an overflow built in or if you have to build it yourself adds some complexity.

Dogwell

Reaction score
Running horizontally under the tub will only work if the tub has room underneath of it. Like the Jacuzzi tub I linked to above.

It might help to know if you've already purchased a tub and if you have a link to its spec sheet / dimensions. And perhaps a drawing of the layout of the bathroom / tub and existing tub hole. Those are your limiting factors to work around.

But essentially if your tub can lay across the corner of that hole, you can offset the drain from that standpipe over to the drain hole of the tub. Using the same tub shoe as in the horizontal part of the assembly sticking out of the ground. If it has an overflow built in or if you have to build it yourself adds some complexity.
Thank you. We haven't purchased a tub yet because we don't really know what the options are. This has me very confused. Originally there was a small tub with a HUGE deck that took up half the bathroom.

We are open to freestanding tub simply for the looks, but are also happy to build a smaller deck for a smaller tub for practical reasons (cleaning / place to sit / store towels and bubble bath for whenever kids bathe).

Here is a tub that I liked the look of:

I am also attaching some photos of the tub diagram and the master bathroom in case it helps at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220914-144709_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220914-144709_Drive.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Screenshot_20220914-150649_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220914-150649_Gallery.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 234

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That tub appears to have a large space underneath for a horizontal offset of the drain. It comes with a very custom drain and overflow kit.. DO NOT BREAK IT!! It took weeks for another manufacturer to send me a replacement for a similar drain setup. I ended up just making my own custom setup. As long as you can place that tub ledge over the edge or corner of the hole you should be able to get that to work. Theres roughly 5" of space under there.. and if you build up the floor with tile you may gain another full inch.

Dogwell

Reaction score
That tub appears to have a large space underneath for a horizontal offset of the drain. It comes with a very custom drain and overflow kit.. DO NOT BREAK IT!! It took weeks for another manufacturer to send me a replacement for a similar drain setup. I ended up just making my own custom setup. As long as you can place that tub ledge over the edge or corner of the hole you should be able to get that to work. Theres roughly 5" of space under there.. and if you build up the floor with tile you may gain another full inch.
Thanks! Does the horizontal offset drain need to be angled at all? Should we use 45 degree elbows? Or is a straight horizontal drain actually allowed? Do you think going for a drop in tub with more standard drain and overflows is a better option?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A freestanding tub needing an offset of this nature adds a signifigant amount of complexity to the job. the fact that you can unscrew the tub strainer to pull it to check on the drain is good. But you will need to have some skill in setting fittings under that tub and having the drain line up in the center. Hard to explain... I would have clear ABS glue to use.. just in case you get some on the tub.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Building a deck again simplifies everthing since you you can do all the plumbing in the deck and then cover it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok so the drawing shows old tub location and a Drain way far away is that the shower? or new tub location?
just need to lay it out to see if its doable

Dogwell

Reaction score
ok so the drawing shows old tub location and a Drain way far away is that the shower? or new tub location?
just need to lay it out to see if its doable
Hi Jeff. Yes. That is the shower area.

Screenshot_20220914-181028_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogwell

Reaction score
Building a deck again simplifies everthing since you you can do all the plumbing in the deck and then cover it.
Thank you. I just remember the old eye sore from before so need to wrap my head around this option.

Screenshot_20220914-181028_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
When we're laying out freestanding tubs and their floor mounted fillers (Think of how you're going to fill this tub too now that I'm thinking of it.) we make cardboard cutouts of the top and bottom circumference so we know how far away / close the filler needs to be and make sure the tub is sufficiently far away from the wall to not hit tile but also not pinch fingers etc.

Dogwell

Reaction score
Hi All.

Here are some spec sheets of the tub I ordered along with a photo showing the gray drain that came with the tub and the original drain that was plumbed in the house. Plumber suggested I either stick with the cheap thin white flex drain shown in the photo or build a platform for the freestanding tub because the included drain reduced the clearance for a horizontal drain extension, but I'm not really sure why instead we can't do what I tried to show in the poorly drawn attachment.

In the photo, the integrated overflow (gray pipe) comes into the t on the gray drain. Can we not use a normal drain (white in photo) with a horizontal T attached for the overflow? I am not sure what I am missing. Any help is much appreciated.

@Tuttles Revenge @Jeff H Young @wwhitney

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220928-190640_Keep Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-190640_Keep Notes.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Screenshot_20220928-190212_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-190212_Drive.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Screenshot_20220928-190111_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-190111_Drive.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_20220928-190048_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-190048_Drive.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Screenshot_20220928-192401_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-192401_Gallery.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 270
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks