Help: Toilet Bolt Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am having a problem installing a toilet due to the flange bolts. I have had to pull the toilet up and rebuild the wax 4 times because the bolt keeps on popping out of the flange. I have been careful to insert the bolt into the flange and be sure not to let it move while I'm tightening it. Also, I do not believe I'm over tightening it.
Can anybody suggest what to do in this situation?

Thanks for the help,
Molo

Molo

Reaction score
It is a brand new flange, do I still need the arcs?
Also, can a person put a nut on the bolt and tighten it to the flange before they set the toilet down? Preventing the bolt from moving?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bolts

I, and most plumbers, do use a second nut and washer to secure the bolt to the flange. BUT, there is also no reason why you should be having that problem unless you are doing something wrong, in which case using the second nut will just mask the problem, and it could cause a problem after the toilet is set.

new-closet-flange-terrylove-03.jpg

new-closet-flange-terrylove-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Molo

Reaction score
OK,
What things could be going wrong here? I've installed a dozen toilets and had the bolt twist and pop up but I was able to pull the toilet, rework the wax, and get the bolt to grab.

Molo

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think he meant a 5/16" bolt...some bolts have a bigger head than others, too.

TedL

Reaction score
I read your original post as saying the bolts are pulling up through the flange slot. If the slot is not strong enough (weak/broken plastic; or thin/bent/broken metal), I'm suggesting reinforcing it.

Someone else mentioned the possibility your bolt heads are too small.

Do they pull through on a test (no toilet, just pulling on the bolt)? Could the wide part of the slot be in the wrong position, allowing them to pull through?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is a plastic flange remove the wax and inspect the flange closely. I will bet the flange is broken but it may be hard to see, and every time you tighten the nut the outside of the slot moves because it is broken, allows the bolt through, and then snaps back into position.

Racer814

Reaction score
if you are using the long slots where you slip the bolt head in the large opening and then slide it into position then it could have a crack as cass suggested....that is the weakest part of the flange....can't for the life of me see why some plumbers still use those slots....those are for diy'ers

use the notches in the side w/ extra nuts and washers to secure the bolt....much much stronger

Last edited:

Molo

Reaction score
This is a new metal flange. I'll check for the spots where you can use a nut as you say. This will be the fourth or fifth attempt. I agree, there must be a better way than the slots.

Molo

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bolt

I've installed a dozen toilets and had the bolt twist and pop up but I was able to pull the toilet, rework the wax, and get the bolt to grab

I don't know, but I have installed hundreds of toilets, and even the few that I did not use double nuts did not have any problem with the bolts coming loose. Normally the worse thing that happens is that they can tilt and get out of alignment when you set the bowl down. But come out of the slots? Never.

neorest-install-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Molo

Reaction score
I have inspected the flange and it has actually pulled up where the bolts were being tightened against it. Therefore the flange-slot was spreading apart and allowing the bolt to slip through. I believe this was the result of too much wax and I was having to tighten the bolts so much to try and get the toilet down to the floor. Now I have a flange that is pulled up at the slots, so I carefully pounded that back down and put the bolts in. Then, I put two screws on each side of the wide base of the bolt and in to the floor to hold the bolt down. I think this will work.

Molo

Pmayer

Reaction score
bolts

I, and most plumbers, do use a second nut and washer to secure the bolt to the flange. BUT, there is also no reason why you should be having that problem unless you are doing something wrong, in which case using the second nut will just mask the problem, and it could cause a problem after the toilet is set.
Hi guys, I just found this thread as I was having a problem on a toilet installation. 15 years after the thread was originally created, it solved my problem quickly and perfectly. This forum is so awesome. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks