[Help/Recommendation] Promenade II, toilet recs, and toilet seats question

Users who are viewing this thread

darbebo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined as I am looking into replacing my toilets (1 master + 2 guest toilet), and I am looking for your guidance. Bear with me as I tell you my dilemma.

Initially we were thinking the Ultramax II 1-piece elongaed for the master. However, my wife states that somehow the toto toilet seats (we've sat on numerous ones @ the showroom) and she said that the seat appears to feel "narrow" vs. the one we have right now (which was from when we bought house). I tend to agree.

1. Question 1: Is it me or is the toilet seat feels cheap/thin/narrow?
    Weirdest question you've probably see...As you know, the toilet seats in general are not flat, the inner circumference of the seat slants downwards ever so slightly to your butt to form that "hole" you sit on. The only way I can describe it is that when we sat down today, the angle of the slant is steeper than what we have and it felt like we're sinking into this hole. And also - the seat itself felt...thin...not sure how to describe that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and is there a good replacement for this?

2. Question 2: Is Promenade II = prettier version of Ultramax II?
    We're looking at styles and initially I was thinking on the Ultramax II 1-piece elongated but wife liked the style of the Promenade II 1-piece elongated. Based on the specs, I do not see any difference between the 2 toilets except aesthetics. They both have same flush system and CEFIONTECT/CeFiONtect.

3. Question 3: Does anyone have the Promenade II and can offer some review?

4. How does the handle of the Promendate II work? Do I "pull" it forward to flush since the handle points down.

5. The remaining 2 guest toilets, they don't get used much at all - would the 2 piece Entrada round be ok without the Sanogloss? Do you have any recommendation I can use since I'm trying to go "big" on the master toilet and then try to be modest with the others.

Sorry for the TMI. Thanks for your help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are sitting on a showroom sit, be aware that the original seats did have a deep dish. I sold a lot of repeat sales because of that dish.
Then there were a few reviews that gave them a negative comment. TOTO then flattened the seats, and now the seat doesn't drive new sales like the old dished seats.
I learned a long time ago, that when someone likes something a lot, they buy more buy don't bother writing about it.
A unhappy buyer will write everywhere they can about how unhappy they are.
The other thing I learned, was for the cheap products, those buyers were just happy that they weren't horrible. I would see good reviews on places like Consumer Reports, or Home Depot that raved that they would actually flush water. Wow! A toilet that flushes water. Who would have guessed?
Many of the raver reports were toilets that I often pulled and threw away at our local land fills. You were either glad you could install it on your very lonesome and water went down the hole, or you were wondering why it plugged so often. I found that checking out hundreds of toilets in the field in real use was a way better way. I have many customers that are into their third or fourth homes that replace with TOTO every time.
The seat is narrow. Why do women sit at the end of the seat instead of where the round part is at the back. The front part of the elongated seat isn't meant for the butt, but for the mans special, extra, thing, that, you, know. Don't make me say it.
Are the seats robust? No. They do make some hefty wood seats with slow hinges that run in the $70 range. I picked up one for my brother as he was breaking everything. I use the TOTO seats and find they work fine. Though two of mine are bidet or Washlet seats. I like something warm to sit one, and the warm water wash. I live in the Seattle area, and I just like it that way.
The handle of the Promenade pulls toward you to flush. The trapway is the same design as the other TOTO bowls too. They all work well. Including the Entrada line.

cst404-02.jpg

CST404CEFG

Last edited:

darbebo

Reaction score
Thanks Terry- much appreciated.

So I take it, as far as internal organs and functionality are concerned, promenadeII = ultramax II but just looks prettier. I guess that's fine, I was afraid I'd lose some perks that the ultramax II has in terms of technology and features.

I notice that the handle is in a weird place/angle vs most....if i were to replace the valves/internal stuff, is the replacement parts easy to find in home depot?

In regards to my 2 guest toilets, would you recommend Entrada or Eco Drake or Eco Drake Transitional?

Entrada is cheaper , but what's the diff w/ Eco Drake vs Eco Drake Transitional? appears to be similar in price
Eco Drake Transitional 2 piece $425 on toto site
Eco Drake 2 piece $402
Entrada - $295

Note: The Entrada is actually TALLER than both the drakes listed here!!

http://www.totousa.com/eco-drake-two-piece-toilet-128-gpf-elongated-bowl (no Cefiontect)
http://www.totousa.com/eco-drake-transitional-two-piece-toilet-128-gpf-elongated-bowl (no Cefiontect)
http://www.totousa.com/entrada-close-coupled-round-toilet-128gpf

Your advice is very appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A lot of this is just picking a style with TOTO. Function is nearly the same.
The Entrada is their entry level stuff. Works well, but not made quite as well. I like the smoother finish that you get with the "G" in the model part number.
You can get that in the Drake C744EG bowl takes the three tanks.
Also the Promenade bowl can be ordered with that finish. C424EFG and C423EFG
Any of the II series has it.
Not a deal breaker if you don't get that though.
Up until now, the parts were available at any hardware store. Some tanks now have the tower flush valve, so that will mean that parts will need to be stocked for that soon. They will do it though.
Being tall and old, I like the taller bowls. It's not for everyone though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have Totos with their special glaze, my mother didn't want to spend the extra for it...mine are definitely easier to keep clean.

Debg

Reaction score
Thanks Terry- much appreciated.

So I take it, as far as internal organs and functionality are concerned, promenadeII = ultramax II but just looks prettier. I guess that's fine, I was afraid I'd lose some perks that the ultramax II has in terms of technology and features.

I notice that the handle is in a weird place/angle vs most....if i were to replace the valves/internal stuff, is the replacement parts easy to find in home depot?

In regards to my 2 guest toilets, would you recommend Entrada or Eco Drake or Eco Drake Transitional?

Entrada is cheaper , but what's the diff w/ Eco Drake vs Eco Drake Transitional? appears to be similar in price
Eco Drake Transitional 2 piece $425 on toto site
Eco Drake 2 piece $402
Entrada - $295

Note: The Entrada is actually TALLER than both the drakes listed here!!

http://www.totousa.com/eco-drake-two-piece-toilet-128-gpf-elongated-bowl (no Cefiontect)
http://www.totousa.com/eco-drake-transitional-two-piece-toilet-128-gpf-elongated-bowl (no Cefiontect)
http://www.totousa.com/entrada-close-coupled-round-toilet-128gpf

Your advice is very appreciated.[/

Debg

Reaction score
I am also looking at the one piece promenade 2, 1.28 g flush.
Wondering how you like it and also want to make sure the seat stays up and is not limited by the top of the toilet like some others I have seen

James Wilt

Reaction score
Thanks for providing this service, Terry - very helpful. I bought a couple of Drakes from you back when you shipped...

We are doing a bathroom remodel and are going with a one-piece Promenade II. The question is whether to go 1gpf or 1.28? There are very few reviews on any Toto toilet with 1 gpf. Do they work well? Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The II Series TOTO have been working well with both the 1.28 and the 1.0 flush.
If you want to use more water, then lifting or holding down the flush lever lets you use the entire tank. You don't need to do that, but it's an option.
Some places will give a rebate on the 1.0 flush.

James Wilt

Reaction score
The II Series TOTO have been working well with both the 1.28 and the 1.0 flush.
If you want to use more water, then lifting or holding down the flush lever lets you use the entire tank. You don't need to do that, but it's an option.
Some places will give a rebate on the 1.0 flush.
That makes sense. Than you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks