help pebble settiment in fluidmaster 400

Users who are viewing this thread

djfmalott

Reaction score
Hi, in October we had to replace a pump in our well. Ok so we have water now that finally runs clear but we are now having a problem with sediment ( tiny pebbles) clogging up our fluidmaster 400. We literally have to clean it out after a couple flushes. Does anyone...have any suggestions on how we should tackle this new problem.? Thanks...Deb:confused:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can put in a filter that will solve the problem. You can put in a strainer that will take out the "pebbles" that you describe. The filter would cost about $100 to $150 for materials if you do it yourself and you would have to change the cartridge from time to time. The little 2.5" x 10" filters that they sell in various stores are not big enough to provide satisfactory service.

You could put in a back-washable sand filter which will probably cost somewhere between $500 and $1000 if you install it yourself. Speedbump on this site sells those and can probably give you the details.

You could put a settling chamber between the pump and the tank that would remove particles larger than 0.005". There would have to be a plan to clear the sediment out of the chamber from time to time. The settling chamber would require more space than a strainer or filter. If you want to try that I can give you a design.

The best solution is to "fix" the problem at the well but I am not the expert on that. It may eventually "fix" itself if the installation of the new pump caused a condition that resulted in the sand. Sand will eventually damage the pump.

djfmalott

Reaction score
djfmalott

Hi Bob,
Thanks for responding so quickly. I will pass this along to my husband. Is there a number that he can reach you if he has any questions? It took once the new pump was installed..over 1 month 1/2 for us to finally get clear cold water. should we have the well drillers back out. They are the ones that drilled the well and replaced the pump. Our well is only 3 years old. Our water is very high in salt content. We can't drink it at all. Any advice you can share would be appreciated. We just don't know what to do or where to start. I know the well drillers wanted to charge us $ 500.00 to come out and recheck the water since we told them it was grey. I had previously asked a question on wells and pumps forum on the water being grey.
any ways...thanks for your advice. Deb