Help me fix my Clack WS1 system

Users who are viewing this thread

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
See my thread "Replacement of circa 2007 Clack" for background.
I have now installed a new brine tank and all internal parts and a new elbow fitting on the control head. I've been stumbling around trying to get it operating correctly, but with little success. Latest symptom is air in the system... just about made me jump out of my skin when it started gushing & spurting!

I'm hoping to find a pro in my area who can help me. I'm in Placentia, CA. jagman653@gmail.com

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
Thanks, but that would be a big job and I don't believe it's the way forward. Besides, I threw the internal parts in the trash.

Vietjdmboi

Reaction score
Thanks, but that would be a big job and I don't believe it's the way forward. Besides, I threw the internal parts in the trash.
Why wouldn't it be the way forward? you obviously have a problem where something you replaced is causing your softener not to function correctly like it did. If you still had the old brine tank and were able to just attached the brine hose wouldn't that then rule out if your new tank is in fact working correctly?

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
It would be the way forward if the Clack control head and resin tank were not 20+ years old.

And in fact I did pretty much what you suggested several weeks ago.

As I mentioned in the thread, I did a test on outdoor vs indoor water using (stupidly) my TDS tester. I didn't like the readings so I started thinking about replacing things. Then someone in the discussion told me I had to use the HACH test kit, not TDS .When I did that I discovered the outdoor water (at the hose bib) was about 20-13 and the indoor water at the kitchen sink was about 1. IOW, my softener was working!

So, there was no need to fix anything! But then I looked inside the brine tank and saw rust, cracked plastic, lots of dirt, etc. So I decided to replace the brine tank. That led to the need to replace tubing, which led to replacing the elbow, and I realized I was suffering from shipwright's disease (Google it).

So at this point I'm back to thinking I should replace the control head and the resin tank. And, as I understand it I should get a recharged resin tank to avoid the labor cost of filling it with resin.

I do appreciate your thoughts, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks