Help laying out plumbing under slab

Users who are viewing this thread

MeMol

Reaction score
Hi everyone. We are owner-builders doing an almost 100% DIY ICF build, in FL. So IPC. Long story short, we have no choice but to DIY the plumbing. We are comfortable with most of the plumbing *above* the slab, but this is our first time actually roughing in plumbing under a slab. We are struggling with how we should lay it out. Mostly my concerns are around venting! The toilet is upstream of the shower, bathtub, and sinks in both bathrooms. Can y'all help me lay this out so it will be appropriately vented? I assume wet venting for bathroom groups, but in reading the codes I am just flat out confused as to whether or not the sink vents will be adequate venting for the whole bathroom and specifically the upstream toilets. The red arrow indicates where the line has to leave the house due to pre-existing septic tank location.

I appreciate any help!
Floorplan w sewer exit marked.png

MeMol

Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
might not be able to horrizontal wet vent much of it remember the kitchen , and laundry must connect to mainline down stream of any fixtures being wet vented in horrizontal fasion.
I looked at your drawing having a little problem with a good simple plan. but keep the above in mind

MeMol

Reaction score
might not be able to horrizontal wet vent much of it remember the kitchen , and laundry must connect to mainline down stream of any fixtures being wet vented in horrizontal fasion.
I looked at your drawing having a little problem with a good simple plan. but keep the above in mind
The plan is to run a main line from the hall bath across the house to the exit point. I had planned to run kitchen sink drain straight down to the main line, so it would join the main line after the hall bath but before the master bath. Are you saying IPC won't allow me to put the kitchen drain line into the main line before the master bath ties in? I doodled it out, red dots are vents and yellow are cleanouts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_100136_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_100136_Drive.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 16

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thats about how I envision it . i like extending the cleanout to outside as well. you need clean outs at kitchen and laundry.
a lot of trenching Thats the part I dont like but guess you are pretty close

Reach4

Reaction score
One of the statements in that URL I placed says " Not more than one wet vented fixture drain shall discharge upstream of the dry vented fixture drain connection." To meet that, I think you will need to bring the tub/shower in downstream of where the lavatory drains.

So you could either move the lavatory drain entry or the tub/shower drain entry.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
tub / shower (bath 2 ) has only one upstream wet vent of the lav , as the w/c happens to be dry vented . If there is a issue as Reach 4 brought up the pipng to the lav could actually be omitted and where the branch for tub was Id run a 2 inch and on the lav wall put a 2 inch combi (or 2x2x1 1/2 on its back) the riser will serve as vent and lav the 2 inch will go accross room to tub drain (your code might allow 1 1/2 to tub but id personaly go 2 inch ). additionally it might be ok for this to serve as vent for w/c Im unsure , also might be able to remove that jog in the main downstream of the bathroom

MeMol

Reaction score
Thats about how I envision it . i like extending the cleanout to outside as well. you need clean outs at kitchen and laundry.
a lot of trenching Thats the part I dont like but guess you are pretty close
Doesn't the removable trap on kitchen sink count as a cleanout though? I figured I need a co at the laundry room, that's easy. But the sink has a large porch behind it and I'd rather not have a cleanout stubbed up in my porch floor...

Yeah it's a lot of trenching, which sucks. At least we won't be digging it mostly by hand, got equipment for that!

MeMol

Reaction score
tub / shower (bath 2 ) has only one upstream wet vent of the lav , as the w/c happens to be dry vented . If there is a issue as Reach 4 brought up the pipng to the lav could actually be omitted and where the branch for tub was Id run a 2 inch and on the lav wall put a 2 inch combi (or 2x2x1 1/2 on its back) the riser will serve as vent and lav the 2 inch will go accross room to tub drain (your code might allow 1 1/2 to tub but id personaly go 2 inch ). additionally it might be ok for this to serve as vent for w/c Im unsure , also might be able to remove that jog in the main downstream of the bathroom
Simplifying the piping by running tub drain and sink drain together makes sense. I wondered if that would be ok.

The jog in the main branch is there because of where the line has to leave the house (no more than 14' from the front of the house) due to location of pre-existing septic tank. I'd rather put 2 45s in that line somewhere vs having to put 2 90s after it leaves the building to get it into the septic tank. Seems like it would be less likely to clog.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Simplifying the piping by running tub drain and sink drain together makes sense. I wondered if that would be ok.

The jog in the main branch is there because of where the line has to leave the house (no more than 14' from the front of the house) due to location of pre-existing septic tank. I'd rather put 2 45s in that line somewhere vs having to put 2 90s after it leaves the building to get it into the septic tank. Seems like it would be less likely to clog.
definatly ok to wet vent tub off line from lav . 8 ft max at 1/4 inch perft fall for 2 inch trap arm 6 ft on 1 1/2 trap arm.
Im talking about the jog in the main on way to the secondary bath is there a reason for that ? perhaps for distance from main line for clean outs ?
Im also thinking it might have a way to only branh off the main once and use that vent (at the secondary ) for all three tub , w,c and lav

MeMol

Reaction score
definatly ok to wet vent tub off line from lav . 8 ft max at 1/4 inch perft fall for 2 inch trap arm 6 ft on 1 1/2 trap arm.
Im talking about the jog in the main on way to the secondary bath is there a reason for that ? perhaps for distance from main line for clean outs ?
Im also thinking it might have a way to only branh off the main once and use that vent (at the secondary ) for all three tub , w,c and lav
Yeah, the jog in the main line is there for a reason. The septic tank is pre-existing and we either need the pipe to exit the house no more than 14' from the front, or we will have to 90 right then 90 left after it leaves the house to get it where it can tie in. Seems simpler and less likely to clog up just to put 2 45s somewhere along that line and have it leave the house in the right spot.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, the jog in the main line is there for a reason. The septic tank is pre-existing and we either need the pipe to exit the house no more than 14' from the front, or we will have to 90 right then 90 left after it leaves the house to get it where it can tie in. Seems simpler and less likely to clog up just to put 2 45s somewhere along that line and have it leave the house in the right spot.
keep your same exit of building on downstream end just get rid of the 2 45s . main line can go straight through the house no bends . you are correct less bends less clogs