Help deciphering well report.

Users who are viewing this thread

jacharya

Reaction score
I purchased a 5 bedroom 5 bath home 2 years ago on the Tennessee plateau that has a well. I found the details for the well on a Tennessee government website and am struggling to decipher the details. I have attached to screen shots. The GPM is 2 and I have 250 and 500 gallon storage tanks. Given the low gpm in the report, I would think I would consistently have the tanks emptying, but they are always full. We have 4 adults and three children living in the home. The kids love to take long showers. I also have a large garden and use a fair amount of water in it.

Could the report gmp be wrong? Another oddity is that one month after moving in, our well was hit by lightning and fried the well pump. When they lowered the new pump, they reported it being 40 feet higher then previously. Implying something had caved in at the bottom.

My parents wants to buy the land next door and If we had a sufficient gpm, it seems like it would be cost effective for them to tap into our water system?

Is there a way to check the current gpm? I also want to know because we are under severe drought conditions and being a native Californian, I fear the well running dry.
Screenshot_20231026_165457_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231026_165507_Chrome.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
2 GPM is almost 3,000 gallons a day. Plus you have another 300-400 gallons stored from the high static level in the well. Most houses only use about 300 gallons a day. Figure 500 with kids and long showers. So, the well could supply as many as 5-6 homes if you don't use all the water for irrigation. As long as you don't use more than a couple thousand gallons a day for irrigation the well can easily supply two houses. The trick with multiple houses or loads on the same pump is to prevent the on/off cycling that destroys most pumps. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve before the pressure tank on the booster pump is an easy way to do that.

Cistern Storage Tank with Submersible Booster Pump (12).png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks