Hard water problems on Niagara "tipping bucket" toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Dennispug

Reaction score
I have a Niagara "tipping bucket" toilet that I actually like, really reliable - however, it started flushing poorly, and I read about taping the underrim holes with duct tape, dumping CLR into the tank, letting it sit overnight, then carefully (using a dental mirror) chip away at the crud blocking the rim jets. Got a lot of junk out - also, on the siphon hole across from the drain, I got a tubular wall of scale out - improving flushing performance greatly. In my kitchen, I have a 4 gallon mini-tank water heater that supplements the central hot water, and every six months I have to take it apart and clean out the crud and replace the anode rod - I finally installed a Kleenwater hot water filter for scale - I had already installed a Clearwave water conditioner, which I have been told is not enough for our hard water in San Diego county, which is about a 4 out of 5. Should anything be installed on the water line to the toilet? I installed a clearwave near my bathroom sink, as the faucet there seems to get damaged by hard water after a few years. I also get black specks out of the rim jets, I have been told that is mold? I have been told I could stick a product called Magnaloo or similar, to the inside of the tipping bucket - affixing it to it - to reduce the scale.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks