Hansgrohe bathroom sink faucet goes on then immediately stops... Help?

Users who are viewing this thread

theloaf

Reaction score
Hey there,

Been a while since I posted a question, but you folks were SO helpful then. Thank you for that. Now I've got another issue. One of our bathroom sinks with a single hole, lever-style faucet will go on when you raise the lever, but then almost immediately stops when the water starts to come out. It's like the water pressure triggers a stopper somewhere inside the faucet. (I will try to post a video of the problem, assuming one can do that here). No water will come out at that point.

If you shut it off and wait a second or two, you can hear a soft sound, probably of some sort of valve dropping down and opening again. After the sound, you can try it again, and the water will start up, but the problem will repeat. I am guessing you more knowledgable people will know exactly what the issue is, and what I need to do to repair it, but I couldn't find any info about this exact problem on the web/this forum. I'm pretty handy, and can remove the faucet if necessary, but am not sure where the issue lies, or what I can do to affect a repair.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

(Later: I guess I can't directly upload video here (?), so I joined Flickr and uploaded the video. I hope posting this link will work. Fingers crossed).

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Post a picture of under the si k with the supply lines.

If you slowly turn it on does it still do it?

theloaf

Reaction score
Here's a photo. I don't know if it shows you what you're after, but I can take others if necessary. It's part of one of those weird Ikea vanities. As in the video, water will begin to come out of the faucet if you move the handle very, very slowly, but eventually will stop as you open it more.

Attachments

• IMG_4287 copy.jpg
    IMG_4287 copy.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 60

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would imagine that the cartridge has broken somehow and the ceramic discs are slipping from the open position to the closed.

theloaf

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like something in the faucet. Do I just replace the cartridge then? Or can cartridges themselves be repaired? Any way to doublecheck that's the problem before I try to find a replacement cartridge?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like something in the faucet. Do I just replace the cartridge then? Or can cartridges themselves be repaired? Any way to doublecheck that's the problem before I try to find a replacement cartridge?
i doubt the cartridge can be repaired but worth a try im not familiar with that one

theloaf

Reaction score
So, just to follow up, the M35 cartridge this faucet takes seems to be pretty hard to find. I searched to see if it could be replaced with a different model, but no luck so far. Then, I realized we have another similar faucet in another bathroom, which works fine. So, I decided to switch out the cartridges (assuming that's where the problem is) with the other faucet b/c it gets less use, and b/c I could check to see if that's where the problem lies.

I did that, and lo and behold, not only does the "problem" faucet work with the other cartridge inside, but the "bad" cartridge, now in the less-used sink, is working too. Maybe I knocked something loose when pulling it out, or maybe some scale or something was jamming it in some way... not sure. I don't know if it will last, but hopefully will last long enough for me to track down an M35 cartridge in case I need it. Thank you for all your responses. (Does anyone know of a good supply house for Hansgrohe parts?)

I guess sometimes you just get lucky.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hansgrohe will likely warranty the cartridge at no cost to you. Almost all ceramic disc cartridges are made by the same company and many are universal.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Customer service can help Im not affraid to get free parts or help. some have homeowner and pro support

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hansgrohe appears to use the same cartridge in most of their single lever faucets.

I would contact HG to let their tech support diagnose your issue specifically and likely mail a new cartridge.

1699288104883.png

Does it look like this? Guillen.com

1699288336119.png

Attachments

• 1699288296949.png
    1699288296949.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 52
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks