Hand-Tightened Connectors on Mixing Valve Install

Users who are viewing this thread

TacomaGuy

Reaction score
New member here! I wanted to ask a question regarding mixing valves. Is there any reason whatsoever to connect a mixing valve with hand-tightened connectors? Please see attached photo. I hired a plumber to install a new bathtub and mixing valve for me. This was just two days ago. Everyone I've talked to so far tells me this is a nightmare waiting to happen. I'd like to get the advice from pros and DIYers on this forum. Thanks in advance!

New Mixing Valve.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Horrible job. Besides the obvious. The tub spout should be attached with a drop-eared 90, and the riser going to the shower head should have been piped in copper. He's not a plumber.
Redo it.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
After it fails which it will please call me I am an expert witness

By the way is this a pressure balance or temperature balance shower valve ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
k-8304-01.jpg

Looks to be a Kohler pressure balanced valve.

The tub spout can be run with nipples like they did, or with copper.
With nipples I normally use brass. The galvanized with give you a little dash of rusty water first time every morning.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
PEX can work for the supplies and shower riser, but galvanized is NOT a good idea to the tub spout. At least it can work for awhile, but fairly soon, you'll start getting a spurt of rusty water each time you run water. You do want the valve well anchored to the blocking, and that's harder to do with PEX, but can be done. You'd be better off with using an expansion or crimp connection with PEX on the valve. The clip for the pipe to the spout isn't a good idea.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"PEX can work for the supplies and shower riser, but galvanized is NOT"

PEX as well as other plastics in many localities is NOT allowed on potable water systems

TacomaGuy

Reaction score
Yup! It's a Kohler pressure balanced valve. I have a professional plumber coming over on Monday to install it correctly. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
A copper shower head riser with a drop eared 90 helps keep the shower head stub out from coming loose from the wall. Don't take a chance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
PEX would only not be allowed in an area with a strong union presence. There is nothing wrong with it except that it is too easy to install and does not require "experienced" installers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks