Grundfos cu301 Pressure Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

dogevans

Reaction score
Have a 5 year old Grundfos cu301 system with 2 gal pressure tank. Last winter the controler changed from 70psi to 40psi and we could not change the pressure. Well repair came and said system was fine, but system had been locked with a remote control. He put controler back to 70psi and made sure pressure in tank was 70% of system pressure. Acouple days ago, we filled 30,000 gal swimming pool with 3 garden hoses in 2-1/2 days (there is no problem with well supply). Shortly after that, the controler dropped to 40psi. We reset it back to 70psi. After one day the controler dropped back to 40psi and we now can not switch it up to 70psi. It is like in locked mode, but the locked indicator light is not constantly on. It does come on momentarily when controler is turned on and off. We did not get a remote controler with the system. Is there a way to increase the pressure without calling well repair every time? :confused:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Unfortunately you have already exceeded the average life expectancy of that system. 4 years seems to be the average life. I know of a very few that have lasted 9 years but, many have died less than 2 years of age. Hence the 4 year average life, which I believe to be optimistic. Those variable speed pump systems are made to sell and for the pump company to make a lot of money on, not for the home owner to get many years of trouble free service.

Now here is the rub. The new CU301 controllers will not work with pumps that are more than a couple of years old. Most likely you will have to replace the pump, motor, and controller to get it back to working again. Even the remote control that the pump installer has will have to be updated or replaced to work with the newer pumps. And no there is nothing you can do to repair it yourself. There is nothing that the pump installer can repair himself. If flashing a new program with the remote does not work, then replacement of the equipment is the only way to fix your water problem.

Purchasing something that is expensive, short lived, and non-repairable helps the manufacturer with their "fluid system". "Fluid systems" have nothing to do with water but, are a manufacturers ultimate goal. It just means that cash is flowing fluidly to the manufacturer.

All the stuff that goes along with the variable speed part of that type system, is what gives the most trouble. You can run those type pumps without the CU301 controller. If you just plug them straight into the power supply, they will work at a constant speed. The you could cut the power supply with a regular 60/80 pressure switch, and use a Cycle Stop Valve to maintain the 70 PSI constant. This will actually work better than using the CU301 controller. Then when the little 10,600 RPM pump also lays down, you can easily replace it with a standard long lasting 3450 RPM pump.

A good pump system should last 15-20 years without problems or added expense. When you opt for the computerized variable speed type systems, they are as expensive to replace and don't last any longer than any other computer. Problem is, when this computer "blinks", you are out of water.

byndq

Reaction score
Unfortunately you have already exceeded the average life expectancy of that system. 4 years seems to be the average life. I know of a very few that have lasted 9 years but, many have died less than 2 years of age. Hence the 4 year average life, which I believe to be optimistic. Those variable speed pump systems are made to sell and for the pump company to make a lot of money on, not for the home owner to get many years of trouble free service.

Now here is the rub. The new CU301 controllers will not work with pumps that are more than a couple of years old. Most likely you will have to replace the pump, motor, and controller to get it back to working again. Even the remote control that the pump installer has will have to be updated or replaced to work with the newer pumps. And no there is nothing you can do to repair it yourself. There is nothing that the pump installer can repair himself. If flashing a new program with the remote does not work, then replacement of the equipment is the only way to fix your water problem.

Purchasing something that is expensive, short lived, and non-repairable helps the manufacturer with their "fluid system". "Fluid systems" have nothing to do with water but, are a manufacturers ultimate goal. It just means that cash is flowing fluidly to the manufacturer.

All the stuff that goes along with the variable speed part of that type system, is what gives the most trouble. You can run those type pumps without the CU301 controller. If you just plug them straight into the power supply, they will work at a constant speed. The you could cut the power supply with a regular 60/80 pressure switch, and use a Cycle Stop Valve to maintain the 70 PSI constant. This will actually work better than using the CU301 controller. Then when the little 10,600 RPM pump also lays down, you can easily replace it with a standard long lasting 3450 RPM pump.

A good pump system should last 15-20 years without problems or added expense. When you opt for the computerized variable speed type systems, they are as expensive to replace and don't last any longer than any other computer. Problem is, when this computer "blinks", you are out of water.
On year 12 with my 301 that gets heavy use with an open loop geothermal. Never had any issues.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
On year 12 with my 301 that gets heavy use with an open loop geothermal. Never had any issues.

Glad you have had good luck with yours! But even a blind hog can find an acorn every now and then. For every one that runs 12 years there is another that only lasted 12 days. They seem to last longer in the northern states than the south. I think the colder water helps them survive longer. Even if it is a good system and you want another like it, they have made so many changes on that model in the last 12 years the new one won't be the same.

Thanks for bringing this up almost 14 years later. I was a young man when I wrote that. Lol! I can't count how many CU301 boxes I have replaced with Cycle Stop Valves in those last 14 years. But for every few I replaced with a CSV there is also a CU301 that has lasted 12-15 years. When you get the supply, demand, power, location, wiring, and everything just right, I have to admit some VFD's can last a pretty long time.:)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks