Grundfos Booster pump install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Redlogger

Reaction score
I bought a Grundfos CMBE 5 -62 booster pump. It is a 200 - 240 volt model. My problem is the wiring schematic is only showing 1 line, 1 neutral and a ground and that is a 120 volt installation in my book.
Has anyone had experience installing one of these pumps? I was expecting to see L1, L2, neutral and ground.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
240 Volt pumps do not have a neutral. The only reason for a 240 volt appliance to have a neutral would be if some component inside the appliance required 120 volts, like a clock on an 240 volt electric range. Check the nameplate voltage. Are you sure what you are looking at is a neutral connection and not L2?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here is the installation instructions for that pump.
Crap!!! Won't let me give y0u the direct link. Go here to "sub familes" Scroll down to the CME pumps. Look at the bottom for installation instruction page.
https://product-selection-classic.grundfos.com/catalogue.product families.cmb, cmbe.html?time=1628859117073

Best I can tell it can be wired for 115V or 230V single phase. But it is not clear. I am afraid this is just the first of many problems you will have with that $3000.00 Tar Baby. It only builds 112' or 48 PSI max anyway, so I hope you don't need much boosting from the incoming pressure. It is a variable speed system which is designed to look/sound cool and fleece people of their hard earned money at the same time. You would have been much better off with a $500 jet pump and a $440.00 PK1A kit to make it constant pressure. Not only would it have been a 1/3rd of the prices but would last many times longer and give better service. Plus you wouldn't need an electrical engineer to figure out the wiring. :)
Jet pump and PK1A.jpeg

Redlogger

Reaction score
240 Volt pumps do not have a neutral. The only reason for a 240 volt appliance to have a neutral would be if some component inside the appliance required 120 volts, like a clock on an 240 volt electric range. Check the nameplate voltage. Are you sure what you are looking at is a neutral connection and not L2?

Drick, the pump is labeled N, L, and ground . There is no provision for L2. name plate voltage says 240 volts.
Thanks

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hmm, short of calling the manufacturer I guess I'd roll the dice and wire it up as a 120V pump and test it. If it puts out the correct GPM, reaches cutoff , and runs normally I'd feel comfortable saying its a 120v pump. Cary said the pump could be wired for either. Given the nameplate says its 240V I would suspect that is probably the case, but testing at 120V first is safer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks