Grundfos 10SQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirtmover

Reaction score
Hi, I'm at the point where I need to replace my slowly deteriorating sumbersible pump. Based on my requirements the local pump shop is recommending a Grundfos 10SQ 3/4 hp 3" pump. The major features he's trying to sell me on are the soft start and run dry protection. To me this just sounds like extra electronics to fail. On the other hand, the soft start will be much gentler on my backup generator since the start up current is considerably less.

So my questions are:
Is anyone familiar with these pumps. I realise Grunfos is a good make but certain model lines can always be problematic?
Are they reliable?
Are these features worth having and presumably paying extra for?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those little pumps are the ones that spin 10,600 rpm instead of the normal 3450 rpm. Every time you double the rpm of a pump, you quadruple the wear rate. They also have the electronics in the motor, which I believe give more problems than pumps without electronic controls. The soft start is OK unless you have a little sand or grit. Then the starting torque of a standard pump, which is what loads your generator, is better at starting a pump that has some grit in it. If you have to use a 3" pump, I prefer the Hydroflo which still spins 3450 rpm and has no electronics, and better starting torque. If you can use what they call a 4" pump, which is really 3.5" OD, the regular Grundfos 10S07 is hard to beat, and much more dependable than the SQ. Also, unless you have a weak well that has the possibility of running dry, dry well protection is not needed and is just one more possible point of failure.

Dirtmover

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It confirms my concerns. The well is 6" and currently has a 4" pump down there so I'll just replace it with another 4"er. I suspect the pump dealer maybe has too many of the 10SQ and is just trying to shift them.