Giant tank ACV replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

KamakazyPlumber

Reaction score
I have a giant bladderless pressure tank in my pump house with a bad ACV and air in our waterlines. The tank is generic looking, has multiple openings (5 or 6) and is stood on end on top of a car wheel. The pump is submersible and the whole set up is about 45 years old. The ACV (Penn F91B Type 1) in the middle of the tank has been broken for a few years and we have quite a bit of air in the water lines. There is no check valve or snifter in sight above ground or on the tank and I don't know if there is a "bleeder" in the down pipe. There has been minor air in water line since it was put in 45 yrs ago, even when the ACV was working. The tank is about 6" or more in height and 24-28 inches wide. It works good now with a 60 gal drawdown and 1 min 20 sec tank refill pump cycle. I ordered an new ACV (Johnson Controls F93B-1C) and hope it will solve some of my issues. I plan on emptying the tank of water, replacing the ACV and letting the pump refill the tank and compress the air inside to the correct level/pressure. I believe I should install a check valve in the system and possibly a snifter and blowout or relief valve. Is there any way I can determine the presence of the bleeder valve in the downpipe without pulling it up? Does this all sound like a good plan? What could I miss or screw up? Thank you

PressureTank.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks