Georgia Sewage Pump Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

sagang227

Reaction score
I have a new build house in Georgia that recently had the basement done by a contractor and have a suspicion that my sewage pump plumbing is not done correctly and would like like your opinion on it. I only started looking into this because of a bad sewer odor coming from the utility room. It turns out that two spots(by the tee socket above the paint can and rough-in at #1 arrow) had the pipe venting out to the room and I closed them off so at least the smell is gone now. However, I am now second guessing everying and just want to make sure the sewage pump is vented through the roof properly. FYI, the contractor didin't finish the job and won't pick up the phone so I have to fix it if there is anything left to do. Since this is related to the health of my family, I would rather get this fixed ASAP than chase after the contractor.

1. For whatever the reason, the contractor tried to use the existing rough-in but changed the plan to route the drain to the vent pipe(yellow #1 arrow in the pic). I assume the rough-in was blocked and he didn't want to fix it properly. Do you see an issue with the way drain is sharing the vent pipe?
01.jpg

2. I cannot figure out what this(blue #2 arrow in the pic)pipe is. The original builder left it that way and it seems to go up through the floor. I think #3 pipe(pink arrow) was also put in by the original builder judging by the way it is routed through the floor. Is there a way to check if this pipe is indeed the vent pipe? Why do I have two rough-in pipes that go through the ceiling? My fear is that the contractor used the wrong pipe if #2 is the vent pipe. If not, What is the #2 pipe for? #2 is 1.5" and #3 is 2" diameter.
00.jpg

Other than the foul smell, the only other issue was that the check valve needed to be replaced in a few months. This could be related but I think the contractor used a sump pump instead of a sewage pump. I think I am going to replace it with a proper sewage pump when the sump pump is done, unless you think I should do it now. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, idiots assembled your mess.
Way too much going on to give a forensic evaluation with the limits of the few photos.
Sewer ejector systems are fairly simple in concept. The side of a air tight tank, below the rim is where the drain inlet is located.
The vent takes off by connecting to the lid. No drainage can connect with the 2" required vent through the roof.
We ONLY use duplex sewer ejectors with built in high water alarms. Liberty makes our favorite.

sagang227

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I think "idiots" is an understatement for this contractor. Anyway, do you think it's possible that both #2 and #3 are vent pipes? I wonder if #2 is for sewage vent and #3 for for bathroom vent. Below is the picture I have before the contractor touched it, and you can see the #3 pipe near the sewage pump pit. Unfortunate I don't have a good picture showing the #2 pipe.
20210908_0729021.jpg

Also, below is a picture from another house and you can see that this house also has two vent pipes, 1 near the sewage pit and another to the right of electrical panel. This example is what led me think that maybe this builder always puts separate vents for sewage and bathroom.
20210320_1540351.jpg

If this is the case, mine is connected to the bathroom vent instead of the dedicated sewage vent. Is it ok to keep it this way or shall I reroute it to the vent right above sewage pump?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Sharing vents is not an issue. Though 2" is the required size and that is why sewer ejector tank lids have a threaded 2" tap, it may be functional to only have 1.5" vent.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
#2 pipe seems to have been for the sewage pit vent. As brplum suggest there should be three pipes to the sealed sewage pit. One for in, one for discharge, the third for the vent. As waste water fills the pit, the air must go somewhere. It may be backing up and coming out of a drain or trap.

What may have happen is one guy laid the pipe, another comes in to make all the connections and doesn't know what is what. You may need to go on the roof and put a garden hose in the vent. Run the water slowly and check if any of it comes out of the #2 pipe.

New construction, the permits may still be hanging somewhere and look for the plumbing permit. Then call the building permit office for an impromptu inspection. If it is wrong in the inspectors opinion then you have a case to pursue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks