'Gasey' smell from new Galvanized pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

PaulHG

Reaction score
Just replaced my right hand tub with a lefty -- lotsa reasons - long story.
This required adding about ten feet of new galvanized pipe to both the hot and cold lines (replaced back to main underground line).

Now - when I first turn on the water in the tub - hot or cold - I get a smell I can only describe as being similar to gasoline or kerosene from the pipes.

Is this normal with new galvanized?
Will it go away?
What causes it?

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The pipes may have a lot of cutting oil inside them from the threading process. This will flush out in time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wanted to ask that question yesterday, but couldn't think of a tactful way to express it. But, the direct answer to you question was already explained. When galvanized pipe is threaded, the cutter head is bathed in a heavy oil. Some of this oil gets inside the pipe and will take some time to clear. Another point for copper sweat joints. Any flux not burned during the sweating process doesn't leave a smell or taste in the water. The oil in your water is very dilute so it won't harm you, it will just smell and taste a little oily for awhile.

PaulHG

Reaction score
No need for tact - I'm a big boy -
Short answer to your 'why' question is twofold -
1 - That is what was already there
2 - In my very limited plumbing experience- galvanized and PVC are all I have ever worked with - and code I was told wouldnt allow pvc.

YES - in retrospect - :(
I SHOULD have taken the time to learn to sweat and run copper.
It's a skill I need to learn - and it would have made all the rigging I had to do much easier. Hind sight is 20-20.
WISH I had done that - just don't wish it bad enough to rip everything out.

Thanks

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Getting up to speed with copper

There is a learning curve with copper, but not too steep. You'll need to buy a torch, cutting tool, solder, flux, and cleaning brushes or emery cloth. If you also buy $5-10 worth of miscellaneous 1/2" and 3/4" copper fittings and some pipe, you can do some test joints on your workbench or vice. You'll be surprised how much fun it is when you make your first sweat joint! Something very satisfying about watching the solder flow into the cleaned and fluxed joint.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Code would not allow PVC, for a reason, but it probably would have allowed CPVC or PEX. But galvanized is okay as long as you didn't mind the extra work to cut and thread it.

PaulHG

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have a HD where they cut and threaded the pipe free -
Even re-cut it for me after the fact to make up for a mistake in measuring.

The hardest part of the plumbing in this job was all the doglegging and lining up needed to reverse the hot and cold lines (caused by reversing ends).
If I had been using copper where I could have measured and cut onsite - it would have definitley been easier.

What is it they say about experience being that thing you get -
the day AFTER you need it.