Gas water heater won't light...

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimmy Wright

Reaction score
Have a US Craftmaster gas water heater.
We ran out of gas, and once refilled I has to relight the pilot...
But it won't.
I read on some other pages that the Thermocouple might be bad. Bought one at ACE Hardware today & put it in. The old one was pretty carboned up. Brushed off all the other components. Tested the igniter, sparking just fine.
Put it back together, and... nothing.

Suggestions from you pros out there?

Phog

Reaction score
I'm not a pro. You might try getting one of those aim-a-flame candle lighters and warming up the thermocouple tip with the lighter flame for 30-60 seconds before attempting to light the pilot, if you have not done this already.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm not a pro. You might try getting one of those aim-a-flame candle lighters and warming up the thermocouple tip with the lighter flame for 30-60 seconds before attempting to light the pilot, if you have not done this already.

I would be thinking along the same lines with a small tip on the propane torch, not turned on full blast. If that works, you still will probably want to try more testing.

Phog

Reaction score
Also BE CAREFUL, allow several minutes to evacuate any natural gas from the combustion chamber before putting any flames inside to warm the thermocouple. Don't make a situation where things go boom.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
SEE WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATERS AT THE HEAD OF THIS SECTION, US CRAFTMASTER IS MADE BY AMERICAN SAME AS WHIRLPOOL

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"We ran out of gas, and once refilled I has to relight the pilot...
But it won't."
- You tried to re-light the pilot and were unsuccessful, did you follow the instructions precisely?
What Reach4 is saying is true: to get gas flowing to the pilot, you need to depress and hold the button for about 15 seconds (let the gas flow and reach the pilot), then strike. If it lights up keep holding the button for about a minute, then release and the pilot should stay on.
If you still can't get the pilot to light up, the problem may be in the gas valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks