Gap Between Drain and Pipe - To Seal or Not to Seal is the Question

Users who are viewing this thread

IrishSwede

Reaction score
Title kinda lamely says it...

Installed a drain pipe that did not seat fully into the drain. There's a marginal gap now that water sits on and I am wondering if i should fill that void?

If so should I just use Silicone or something like JB Weld?

Attachments

• IMG_9332.JPG
    IMG_9332.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 388

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Not enough info. about the gasket and the pipe, and the picture angle not showing detail (nice colored circles!).
Plumbing codes do not like fouling areas where water can sit.
JB Weld is not good for locations where expansion and contraction can occur under temperature or stress or different expansion coefecients.
More detail please.

IrishSwede

Reaction score
Ya I admit, photos are my wife's forte...but I am a pro with Paint :cool:

It is a tile redi-pan. The pan is made from some plastic (poly????) and has a PVC drain body fused to the pan itself. We attached it to our ABS drain pipe correctly (used PVC Primer and PVC to ABS Transistion Cement). However, when inserting the pipe into the pan, my wife fell back and by the time I could apply more pressure it had already begun to set (thus the festive Easter colors around the drain). I did not want to risk breaking the chemical weld, so I left well enough alone.

The gap is 1/4" from being fully seated. Tile redi believes the PVC Drain Body is either 3/4" or 1", which means I am in 2/3 or 3/4. They seemed to think it is ok. I just do not know about the gap? Because my wife fell it went upside down and some of the cement filled the gap which make me worried that water could sit in behind it.

The plumber also had an issue getting a coupler on, he didn't tell me, but I could see before we dropped it in that it was sitting out about 1/3 from a full seat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks