Fuse socket has no power

Users who are viewing this thread

And3008

Reaction score
I have an old house trailer that I use in the summer. When I opened up for the season - I had 2 fuses that had no power. The setup is: 60 amp service with 2 cartridge fuses in the main pullout. Below that are 4 fuses. The 2 fuses on the left have no power - the 2 on the right are fine. I have used my meter and there is no reading when I read the actual fuse socket for the 2 fuses on the left. It's odd to me that there would be 2 different circuits with a problem. I would think the cartridge fuse above would be the culprit but it reads continuity and when I read the lug below there is power. I am stumped.

Reach4

Reaction score
do you have a pair of 60 amp fuses in the fuse box, or do you have an outside fuse box with a pair of 60 amp fuses in it. If so, it could be one of them is blown.

Make sure there is 240 volts between the two line sides of the fuses. If that is not the case, then you have problems on the incoming wiring from the transformer.

If you have 240vac present, and a blown 60 amp fuse does not explain it, I suggest replacing the fuse box with a breaker box. Troubleshooting the an old fuse box to find the internal bad connection might be effort that would best be applied to putting in a new breaker box.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this fed with 120vac or 240? If 240, you may be missing a phase coming in.

Exactly where are you measuring? Put the black lead on neutral and the red one where you think there should be power. If there's nothing, try it between the hot and ground. THen, try it between the two incoming leads, that might show 240vac.

If you just measure across the fuse in ACV mode, it should be close to zero as essentially each end of the fuse is just like having the two leads on the same wire. There is a little resistance in the fuse, so you may get a small reading across it depending on the quality and scale of the meter.

If you get a big voltage reading across a fuse, the fuse is bad.

And3008

Reaction score
do you have a pair of 60 amp fuses in the fuse box, or do you have an outside fuse box with a pair of 60 amp fuses in it. If so, it could be one of them is blown.

Make sure there is 240 volts between the two line sides of the fuses. If that is not the case, then you have problems on the incoming wiring from the transformer.

If you have 240vac present, and a blown 60 amp fuse does not explain it, I suggest replacing the fuse box with a breaker box. Troubleshooting the an old fuse box to find the internal bad connection might be effort that would best be applied to putting in a new breaker box.
I have 2 60 amp cartridge pullout fuses on the inside of the box. I have 120 V coming in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
120vac measured between what two points? If you measure from one supply line to neutral (and probably ground as back at the main panel, neutral and ground are tied together), you should get 120vac. The same on the other. IF you measure between the two hot sides, you should see 240vac, or the sum of what you measured on L1 and L2.

If either input line to neutral is zero, that line is open somewhere before that fuse OR, both inputs are wired to the same line (either L1 or L2...the inputs must be on different legs or you can't get 240vac).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks