Franklin Pumptec pump protection system issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric Rathbun

Reaction score
Because of a low yield well I am installing a trickle system with a holding tank. I got everything hooked up and went to start filling the holding tank and it started filling but when the water ran out the pumptec pump protector didn't sense an underload and shut the Franklin submersible pump off and just kept running. The way I have it set up is the power goes from the breaker (230v) to a limit switch on the holding tank to the pumptec pump protection system to the Franklin submersible pump in the well. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you are using a valve to restrict the pumps flow, the pumptec cannot tell the difference in the amps when the well is dry. Without restricting the pumps flow there should be enough difference in amps at no flow for the pumptec to work. If you need to restrict the flow and still have dry well protection, you will need something like the Cycle Sensor which can tell the difference in amps at low flow and no flow.

Errin

Reaction score
Similar issue where underload is not working. We pump 150' well into holding tank until well is dry, and then repeat after 30min.
Last week Pumptec standard detected overload, motor is not working.
Replaced Franklin 3/4hp 6A pump with different brand 1/2hp 4.5A pump.
The Pumptec standard protection system should turn it off when the load goes from 4.65A to 4.05 at 90% sensitivity, but it doesn’t.
Just wondering, is it possible that Pumptec sensor is faulty and it broke 9y old pump and now doing the same to the new pump.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pumptec is not shutting off the new pump, it was probably the reason the old pump failed. 90% or 75% sensitivity, you can't really see what the pumptec is doing. I know you would like a Cycle Sensor better than the pumptec as it has a display that reads the amps and you can set the underload anywhere it needs to be.

Errin

Reaction score
Hi Valveman,
I bot a Pentec protector at local store. It calibrates for 10 seconds, turns off and then on.
The most sensitive setting is at 90% and it doesn't trip Underload.
1701020081629.png

I use a clam amp meter to read the load on one of the two 120v wires.
1701020418942.png
It reads 5.1Amp at the calibration, after 25min goes down to 3.9Amp.
Shouldn't it trip an underload at 4.59Amp (10% drop)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks