flux safty

Users who are viewing this thread

Maintenancemouse

Reaction score
My neighbor helped me out with my pluming in my house. He used Oatey No. 95 Lead Free Tinning Flux, the one that comes in the green container. Will I need to do some kind of chemical flush with this? Is my water currently safe, for regular use and or drinking?

Thanks- Willie

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
there is not much flux left after soldering, and what is left should flush out of the lines by running the water for a couple minutes. the lead-free fluxes/solders of today aren't really a concern though, so don't worry about it too much.

I don't do anything to clean it out, but if you're worried about it, just run the water for a few minutes to rinse it out before you start consuming water from that line.

-

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
My neighbor helped me out with my pluming in my house. He used Oatey No. 95 Lead Free Tinning Flux, the one that comes in the green container. Will I need to do some kind of chemical flush with this? Is my water currently safe, for regular use and or drinking?

Thanks- Willie

All Tinning Flux is lead free.

Most Tinning Flux is made from Tree Sap, and it will normally not hurt you.

The type of Solder and Pipe material is of more concern than the Flux.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks